Smokers do not like cigarettes that have "minutes of life lost" ruler printed on them

Good idea. That way they could have a digital readout on the device showing the running tally of time shaved off your lifespan.

Or maybe just a big red countdown timer showing the hours you have left to live if you use those vitamin-E pods that killed a bunch of people within months of taking up the habit.

2 Likes

As a millennial former smoker with depression at most I’d have shrugged and agreed with that poster.

3 Likes

They should print another ruler on the opposite side showing how much lifetime is being stolen from others unfortunate enough to be around the smoker.

2 Likes

should probably check how many minutes of life i’ve lost scrolling through random wobsites today erm

1 Like

I’m surprised no one has pointed out the obvious effect of adding a ruler to cigarettes:
They’ll be talked about for a few days, and swiftly they’ll become part of the background and smokers will ignore them. The same as has happened every single time the graphics have been changed on packs of tobacco.
Anyway, I smoke rollies, so unless they’re going to start printing rulers on Rizlas I dunno if I’ll notice.

4 Likes

I made my own for similar reasons.

“Fire safe cigarettes” aka shit cigs that don’t stay lit, or fall apart when you reef on them too hard.

So I made my own with non FSC tubes. Turns out it’s only like $2 a pack when you make them yourself.

Then I smoked for 10 years and eventually stopped with chantix. Really helpful.

2 Likes

Do they still make them sans filtre?

1 Like

And if they do, you can always smoke them from the other end. The more of one you smoke, the less bad it’ll be!

4 Likes

The idea of the life ruler is very shocking at the beginning, but if you really think about it might help rationalize your tobacco consumption.
In the end it boils down to what trade-offs you are willing to accept.
Maybe they need to smoke to cope with their stressing job to be able to live the way they want, and not smoking would not just get some extra living time with the same quality as they aim.

I would have done the same.
The alternative, not smoking, was much worse than the price I would have to pay.

1 Like

Imagine if they printed the same on your payslips.

4 Likes

Who even looks at the cigarette when they’re smoking it? The whole ritual of taking one out of the pack->lighting up->smoking/ashing->extinguishing is total muscle memory the whole way through. Anyone whose habit is more than a week old is probably doing it blind.

There are more efficient and less expensive ways to die.
At 15 minutes per cigarette you are going to have to smoke a lot to make any neglegable impact.
Advertising on TV is far more effective at reducing one’s remaining available lifetime.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.