Solar fire-starter

To be effective, that thing would need to be 50% larger.

The best tinder is lint from the clothes dryer lint trap. You can get the spark off an empty butane lighter and it’ll burst into flames on the second or third try.

The old style magnesium block works, but the striker is kind of weak. The newer fire sticks are good, the generic ones aren’t as hot.

The military “triox” fuel tabs were good for emergeniecs and can be lit with a flint spark.

Once you have flame, a candle is a pretty sure bet for getting a fire going. but the best thing is a lump hacked off of a cheap wax and sawdust fireplace log.

1 Like

Gotta try that, never would have thought of that! And that’s knowing the stuff burns well from reading up on fire hazards in buldings.

(Got to ask, can’t help myself: what about navel fluff?)

This is the most useless thing ever. The only time you could ever use it to start a fire is when you don’t need one. It’s just a nicely machined waterproof paperweight.

1 Like

Wait, what’s going on with the pricing for that fire starter anyway? List $375.95, on sale for $4.39?

Anyway, half the time you’re not permitted to make an open fire so you’ve got a camp stove and only need the flint:

Call me paranoid, but I always like to have two methods of starting a fire. So it’s usually one of those and a few weatherproof matches hidden away for backup.

I used to have one of those as a Scout; probably still around somewhere. I’d just sit around at night, making sparks with that thing (using a pocketknife in place of the striker resulted in a much more dynamic fire experience). I’m somewhat amazed that half the of the Northeast didn’t burn down with my carelessness (I was pretty much the worst Scout ever).

On those survival shows, all you need is a lump of mud and an icicle, and if you smack them together just the right way they burst into flames on the first try.

2 Likes

The most baffling fire starter is the little strip of flint glued to the bottom of the little waterproof match jars. Utterly pointless.

My survival kit that goes around my neck when hunting in the deep woods: firesteel stick, butane lighter in a little holster that used to hold a small pepperspray cannister, keychain compass, Storm whistle, SOG folding knife, LED keychain light, P38 can opener, match holder with waxed wooden matches. With that I can hike out or hunker down pretty much anywhere below the treeline. The only thing missing is a canteen cup

1 Like

Just on a chain or strap around your neck? Seems handy.

I had to look up that P38, but I actually used to have one when I was mostly cycling and canoeing. I’ve been mostly backpacking lately and don’t think much about canned food any more.

yes, automated amazon pricing bot issues. It results in some very strange things with a reasonable frequency. http://boingboing.net/2012/02/23/amazon-coms-many-bots-feud-o.html

On a long doubled loop of orange paracord, which is another good thing to have. The P38 could probably be used as a striker for the firestick, and has some value as a screwdriver… The last time I really needed it, it was to help someone else that had a can they couldn’t open.

But yeah, lots of cool things have been called “P38,” mostly in the 1940s.

1 Like

Radio Shack’s old Solar Cigarette Lighter, with a built-in tinderbox.

A similar effect can be obtained with the polished parabolic base of an aluminium drinking can:
http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/fire/cokeandchocolatebar/

Better to have a solar fire starter than something which stops the solar fire, I suppose.

The new Solar lighter dual energy , Solar and gas , the B*Fly, it works night and day :slight_smile:

http://www.youaresolar.com demo of solar lighter

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.