Solved: mystery of random cash rolls appearing on sidewalks in UK village

Every single bundle of money was handed in to the police. Not one person kept any of it. Now their honesty will be rewarded by getting it back from the police.

4 Likes

I’d consider anyone that didn’t hand in money they found on the street (to the police) to be dishonest. I didn’t think it was that complicated a concept.

I didn’t realise that the police would give the money back to the finder eventually though (as per @ferg post). That’s pretty cool.

2 Likes

mysterious rolls of cash were showing up on sidewalks pavements in the small English village of Blackhall Colliery

In the last 5 years, around US$30,000 had been found in twelve rolls.

US dollars? In England?

Anyway, seems like the simplest way to not have to waste everyone’s time with handing the money to the police would be to include a note explaining the good deed.

1 Like

Well pedantried. And in UK I suspect it was wads not rolls. We tend not to roll notes as readily as USians do, methinks.

2 Likes

Even Carlisle isn’t anywhere near as bad as what NickyG is describing, and I refuse to go back there if at all possible.

1 Like

Better thought out plan than Lime, Bird, Spin, and the other scooter companies that think they can leave their valuables on the sidewalk.

2 Likes

I think that’s more of a tv and film trope than anything else here. I’ve never seen a human being do it as anything other than a bit of a joke or a pathetic attempt to look cool. Both by reference to it’s depiction on screen.

No clue where it really comes from, but the earliest things I’m aware of are gangster movies. And I suspect it might be down to a way to hide blank paper or prop money when used on screen since making accurate looking prop money runs afoul of counterfeiting laws. So 1 real bill wrapped around blank paper can look like a lot of money.

I did used to keep all of my singles from bartending for the sake of butting together bulky rolls of cash as a joke though. Really fun to go out to the bar on a day off like that.

1 Like

I plead guilty, but offer USian cultural hegemony as mitigation.

I mean, Baltimore has plenty of nice things too, don’t get me wrong! I really like many aspects of the city – I’m totally here by choice at this point.

But, we had 348 homicides here in 2019, which was the highest rate in the city’s history. And – it has a history of really bad violent crime. A long history. For 2019 it was ~57 per 100,000 people. And of course this leaves out the violent muggings, carjackings, random attacks, kidnappings, break-ins, which are ever-present.

Trust me, I do consider leaving, from time to time!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.