Some ad-blockers are tracking you, shaking down publishers, and showing you ads

Why aren’t they charging the studios a fee for posting their ad? Instead, they’re giving them free marketing and then making money by forcing viewers to watch an ad before watching another ad. I’m not suggesting that all uploaded videos be charged a fee but when videos are obvious commercials, YouTube, IMDb, FunnyOrDie should be compensated for the studios’ marketing.

Personally, I won’t watch a trailer that is front loaded with an ad.

3 Likes

Use uBlock origin, works great. I have no hesitation blocking ads on most sites because they track you if you don’t… Also would love to pay to read content I love, but all publishers think they are worth something ridiculous, like $5 / month. Would chip in $20/year for a tip jar. Don’t want that associated with a login, cookie, ID etc – make it honor system, social pressure.

2 Likes

The “Boing Boing Store” runs ads disguised as legit articles to bypass adblocking every day on Boing Boing. How can you pretend you still have the moral high ground?

6 Likes

Exactly - I feel the same way.

I would add to your list - ads that are poorly formatted for my screen so block the entire page without a way to close them, ads that cause my iPad to freeze, ads that take twice as long to load as the page, having thirty or more trackers on a page, etc etc.

The advertisers started this war but getting greedy and stupid. A couple of years ago I didn’t bother with ad blockers because I didn’t feel that strongly, but as my experience deteriorated badly I chose to fix the issue. The trouble for them is - what reason do I have to turn off ad blocking and ghostly, even if they do clean up their act?

2 Likes

Right click->block element. Solved.

2 Likes

The words still don’t display when you block their “Veil”.

Not sure what your deal is with ABP but I never had and issue with it.

FYI for Wired just turn on ABP after you land on the article you want to read.

All I’m gonna say is: Bill Hicks was right.

4 Likes

Maybe if you pay precisely zero attention. I think it’s pretty clear that they’re motivated to sell through Amazon affiliate links, and it’s also very clear when they have actual sponsorship, as when they teamed up with HP. Same goes for Wink and the BB “store.” Why do people persist in pretending that this is so hard to identify? BoingBoing has relatively Internet savvy readers. They’re not calling your 99-year old grandmother and offering her “tech support.” They’ve got bills to pay and frankly it would be more distracting if they wrote

#ADVERTISEMENT

with big red marching ants around it like a 90s Geocities link just to make sure no one would ever doubt it’s an ad- as if they didn’t know that by looking at the dang thing.

4 Likes

Having the “moral high ground” involves acknowledging that the individuals (collectively described as “audiences”) pay for their connections out of their own pockets. As we exist within the era of “entitlement high ground” (thank moral relativism for that) everyone else is allowed/encouraged/abrogated from any responsibility while rooting around in our pockets. It is March 2nd and over the course of 2016 I would have been bombarded with 33,352 ads while online if I wasn’t using an adblocker. That’s over 500 daily online ads (and most sites have between 10 to 20 per page) that I’m unwilling to PAY FOR (the cost of those bits and bytes comes out of my pocket and push me toward hitting my data cap).

Anyway… bOING bOING /might/ have something I wish to purchase based on a review or a blurb or some form of endorsement on the part of their staff and the potential object of desire is embedded as a link within the content. And if I purchase it bOING bOING /might/ get a commission and /might/, in turn, share the proceeds among their ad hoc “staff”.

Oh… and content needs to be /compelling/. bOING bOING gets two to three visits a day from me (plus they have “street cred”). Wired gets one a day (unless I forget about them) and never on the weekends.

1 Like

No mention of uBlock Origin, which is what I use.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/

4 Likes

Make a bookmarklet with the following as it’s URL and run it when you load a wired page and it does this.

4 Likes

I said “to bypass adblocking,” not “to fool readers.”

I expect you’re going to misunderstand me again, so let me be clear: some people are annoyed that some adblockers let some ads through, even when (by installing an adblocker) you’ve shown a preference to not see ads. Cory is reiterating this argument, while also actively pushing ads to readers with adblockers. That seems hypocritical to me.

1 Like

For those still using Firefox, the “Bluhell Firewall” always worked for me

http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/bluhell-firewall

It catches almost everything and is much lighter and simpler than ABP.

These days I use a browser called surf and I can turn Javascript on or off with a few keystrokes. For instance, the Wired article is perfectly readable without Javascript, but I don’t see any ads at all.

2 Likes

Thats the subscription package you’re describing there.

I tune my adblocker to hide the ‘hey, you’re using an adblocker’ messages. It’s great!

2 Likes

It rhymes with “shit Gor bent.”

1 Like

If I pay $25 for a movie, I have to watch ads before it starts.

If I pay nothing, the movie plays instantly and without interruption.

The content business still has a lot to learn.

12 Likes

Where do you go to watch a movie for $25?

On bluray

2 Likes