Some worthwhile cultural analysis on Gamergaters

That’s just freaking insane.

4 Likes

it really wasn’t my argument. I was clarifying for someone else.

And that’s Wordwang!

3 Likes

Yes, that was about the essence of my quip.
…that said, I took a brief look and found this. Genetic Ancestry, Jewish.
(Of course I was searching for this; the higher incidence of certain specific hereditary problems between the Ashkenazis is well described and pretty interesting. It, resp. the patents surrounding the genes discovered, also has some intellectual property implications.)
But that’s a big digress here…

This. Too little known.

Shared identity. Very to-the-point. Exactly what I was saying in too many different words in some old thread.

1 Like

1 Like

Man… What’s wrong with people?

2 Likes

What I should have said was that tehunown’s denouncement of Brianna Wu for accepting that he was telling the truth about his own opinions, was a perfect example of insane troll logic.

7 Likes

Yeah, I agree… Set a trap by making a statement, and then cackle madly when the person falls for it… Such bullshit.

3 Likes

Not to mention stupid. At worst it shows Wu willing to give people the benefit of the doubt and argue in good faith.

How foolish! Everyone knows you win arguments through deception and then pretending you never had that opinion in the first place when you inevitably lose. Oh, that anonymous person wasn’t one of us, we’re different anonymous people, why do you keep blaming us for what those bad people do, look, we’re using really polite language and big words, why are you getting so defensive? Hey you 100 other people, why is she getting wound up, when we’re just asking questions?

12 Likes

Exactly. Thankfully it’ll self-select a lot of individuals out of the gene pool.

At least they’re shameless enough to be honest/proud, let women on dating sites know GGers’ twisted minds by their (metaphorical) limping.

But wait, what if the second email was fake? Anyone could send a real, sincere email about how they gave up on gamergate and then lie and send a second, fake email saying that they hadn’t really!

Until that person offers up some proof that they really support gamergate in their own life, I’m going to have to assume they are genuinely contrite. Pics or it didn’t happen, as they say.

I can think of two things that create this bias:

1. Look at that email pair from @funruly. The culture is built on a foundation of having zero trust. Anyone who actually believes anything anyone says is a dupe.

2. Individual freedom of speech is the highest value of the community, freedom of speech that can be limited by absolutely no considerations for others.

Chan culture looks like right-wing culture because chan culture is anti-society. The idea that you shouldn’t be vicious, you shouldn’t hurt people, you shouldn’t lie or cheat, all of that runs contrary to the idea that you should be able to express yourself however you want whenever you want, and this culture says that expression should win.

This is basically the current essence of right-wing ideology. I don’t think that right-wing politics have always been thus,and I think a healthy society probably requires a mix of progressives and conservatives to balance one another out. But the current right wing is not about conserving anything, it is just plain anti-society, and that is to benefit the very powerful who have so many resources that they don’t really need to avail themselves of society to survive. I mean, ultimately they do, but if society were to devolve into anarchy they would be the ones who could afford to hire their own armies and become warlords (unless it really devolved and no one cared about their money and someone just killed them, they don’t really get that part).

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.