Someone has already added the OceanGate sub to GTA V

Originally published at: Someone has already added the OceanGate sub to GTA V | Boing Boing

1 Like

… BioShock would have been too on-the-nose?

9 Likes

I haven’t done the mod, but I’ve taken the existing 4-person submarine the Avisa and challenged 3 other players to get in, and then taken it down to 500 foot depth. Right around then it starts telling you you’re at crush depth. If you go deeper 0.11 miles it starts saying HULL INTEGRITY CRITICAL.
At that point you can either head to the surface and live or go deeper and implode.
Of course it’s a video game with no consequences but it’s still rather harrowing.

1 Like

Would you kindly?

2 Likes

Be nice; say what you will about Andrew Ryan; but he selected his assistants specifically because of their commitment to suitable materials. and non-leakage.

4 Likes

I generally wouldn’t touch Rockstar online gaming with a ten foot network cable, so no, guess I won’t be indulging in this submarine joy ride. I make no judgement about whether or not it’s “too soon.”

2 Likes

does it actually implode?

1 Like

Piloted with the same controller, too!

5 Likes

I’ve lost track of it, but recently someone posted a video of a person explaining the lack of empathy around the OceanGate incident. It resonates with me; it can never be too soon to mock the hubris of the billionaire class.

5 Likes

I believe a substantial portion of people who were lost at sea were likely lost undersea. I have no data to support this, I simply take this on faith.

2 Likes

I doubt I’ll be taking the submersible out for a spin, cuz I have no idea what Grand Theft Auto V is.

1 Like

If it doesn’t randomly blow up then what are we even doing?

3 Likes

Apparently Iron Lung has been getting a huge bump because of current events.

Yes, I’m guilty, as well. It’s a great game/experience.

3 Likes

Well it seems to. It’d be interesting to have another player video what happens from slightly less deep.

1 Like

CBC did a write up on it:

The “lack of civil discourse” part is a garbage take, but the rest seems basically correct, and not surprising to anyone. Everyone hates rich people because they’re fucking up the planet and all our lives for their own amusement. Shocking.

5 Likes

I’m certainly going to make fun of people doing dumb shit regardless of their status. Do i get extra delight knowing this involved wealthy people? Sure but it’s not like i was hoping they’d die to begin with.

3 Likes

Yah I don’t think any of us would go so far as to wish them dead. I’m happy this incident has drawn attention to wealth inequality, the flaws in libertarianism, and the perils of the undermining of expertise in our world. Am I happy five human beings are dead? No, of course not.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.