Someone set a sleeping homeless person on fire

Originally published at: Someone set a sleeping homeless person on fire | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Attempted murder, at the very least. Someone with 50% burns is not out of the woods for weeks.

33 Likes

Really makes you wonder what the motivation for this could be. As if the life of a homeless person isn’t challenging enough…

9 Likes

Sadism, most likely. Fucking Patrick Bateman shit.

25 Likes

22 Likes

Some asshat did that in my city a few years ago. Perpetrators never found. This, despite the city being one where literally nobody has the ability to keep a secret.

14 Likes

You’re probably not wrong. I immediately then jump to the escalation of what’s next if the perpetrator gets away with it. To quote Randal:

11 Likes

It’s really disturbing how common this is.

https://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/19610529.watch-croydon-man-jailed-setting-fire-homeless-man/

There are many, many more examples but you get the idea.

23 Likes

Few years back this happened in San Diego, right out in the open, and the gas was purchased less than 100 yards from the event that resulted in the death of the homeless man. As with this incident, they will find that the perpetrator has done this before, and got away with it because in the USA homeless are disposable.

9 Likes

People Suck.

5 Likes
1 Like

Probably for the LULZ… assholes. As @Brainspore noted, some people are just sadistic assholes. We and dehumanize the homeless so much in this country…

5 Likes

I really hope they don’t get away with this.

10 Likes

Maybe what’s worse about this is that it’s not nationwide news. It (had) seemed like psycho behavior was just kind of fading out. But sadly it appears that psychos can attack certain categories of victims and it doesn’t make the news anymore (yet we get to hear MTG bloviating about nothing in particular on a regular basis).

I’d rather we ignore her and start amping info about fucking psychos so that we can find them and stamp them out (unless it’s a specific issue whereas they want the attention as much as MTG seems to).

4 Likes

There are a lot of people that resent homeless people for reasons that make no sense and with a truly disgusting level of vitriol. There are a loads of people upset – and I shit you not – that homeless people have “more rights” than they do because within the 9th circuit the police aren’t allowed to kick homeless people out of public parks after hours if there is no other shelter available.

3 Likes

The “People’s Republic of Santa Monica”, despite its reputation as a lefty enclave, displays some of the most aggressive and proud NIMBYism you’ll see in any American city. I don’t know what the exact motive is for this attack but there’s a strong chance it has its roots in that attitude.

3 Likes

Check sm to see if the gentleman posted pictures or video.

8 Likes

Seems to be a pretty common hate crime against homeless people as a category

Homeless man set on fire while asleep in San Francisco dies | AP News

Watch shocking moment man set fire to homeless man while he slept 'to impress girl' - MyLondon

In horrific attack, suspect intentionally sets homeless man on fire in Downtown Honolulu

5 Likes

That is some messed up stuff right there. :frowning:

2 Likes

I mean, I hate to say this, but MTG is somewhat more newsworthy because her actions are imperiling the entire United States of America; she is threatening millions of people with her depraved and ignorant stances. A serial killer will likely only have a handful of victims. While both are tragic, she is definitely a larger, ongoing threat to America and our way of life.

1 Like