Source: carbon monoxide identified in deaths of California couple, cats

But still test them twice a year when you change the clocks.

I put a 9V Energizer lithium battery in a detector and it lasted less than 3 years.

4 Likes

I know the danger of CO, I just didn’t realize that doing some laser cutting for 15 min would produce enough of it to be a danger.

3 Likes

Sounds like my type of cats, and my type of people

6 Likes

I’ve used Shapeways twice for 3D printing parts for models. I also had some custom brass etching done. For my limited needs it’s adequate. I would do the same for laser cutting. But I can see the appeal of having your own machine and experimenting with it, or having a business using it.

I highly recommend The Poisoner’s Handbook by Deborah Blum. It’s not a “how-to” but a history of the development of forensic science in New York City in the early 1900’s. Apparently murder by poison was difficult to solve up till then, when the chemical techniques were developed. Blum goes into some detail about them.

4 Likes

We have two cats in the basement currently creating radioactive waste in their litter box. They both had iodine 131 treatment for hyperthyroid.

8 Likes

To everyone speculating: please read the Hacker News discussion on the subject starting with the comment by allenrabinovich https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13507734

4 Likes

Mine doesn’t. But it is only a hob, the oven is electric.

ANY combustion will create at least some CO, if there’s any carbon present in the fuel. Yes, gas stoves can kill you. Furthermore, a not-quite-turned-off gas stove is emitting copious METHANE, which is not only explosively flammable but is also quite capable of suffocating you.

4 Likes

Yeah - you would need quite a bit, and I thought CO concentrates upward due to it’s lighter molecular weight, but I suppose it could also be redistributed via HVAC.

Dollars to donuts it is some sort of combustion not related to the printer or cutter, most likely a heater. Pretty sure you would be choking on smoke from a laser cutter before you got close to CO poisoning.

1 Like

I think that outside venting hoods are required over gas stoves in new construction these days, but that’s pretty recent so many existing kitchens don’t have them.

It is also much more necessary to have specific ventilation in modern buildings because they don’t leak nearly as much air accidentally as older buildings.

4 Likes

I had the HVAC guys come in a couple of months ago to tune up my furnace.

I have an existing gas hookup in my kitchen, but my actual stove is electric.

They told me that if I wanted to hook up a gas stove, I’d have to raise the hood and get it vented outside.

So it may be for renos as well as new construction.

1 Like

Coincidentally…

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/six-teens-found-dead-after-garden-party-in-germany/ar-AAmoclF?li=BBnbfcL&utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

1 Like

Doesn’t your stove have a flame failure device that cuts off the flow of gas if the flame goes out?

No source on the CO, I’m guessing they had a charcoal stove or some kind of heater?

My gas range (stovetop) does not. Or at least I have never let it run unlit for more than 10 seconds to test for one.

Yeah, I think it was a portable in the shed with them.

Is it old? I think pretty much all current hobs (stove top in US English I believe) in Europe and Scandinavia have flame failure detection. It has certainly been available for decades. You can normally see a small spike sticking up that will be in the flame when it is lit. It takes a few seconds to get hot enough to hold the gas supply on, until then you have to keep the tap pushed in manually. If you let go before it gets hot enough (3 or 4 seconds) it cuts off the gas.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame_supervision_device,https://mrstaraplumbing.com/2011/09/12/a-flame-failure-safety-device-fsd-could-stop-your-house-going-bang/.

I’ve literally never seen anything of the sort for the main gas flow, only the pilot, although this may be a newer feature.

Pilot lights are not used much these days in new devices. Waste of gas.
My hob was a fairly cheap one from IKEA in Norway, assembled in Poland with Italian burners. It has flame failure detection (flame supervision) for each of the five burners.

And new devices are NOT the majority of those installed in apartments, other rentals, and simply older properties.

2 Likes