Spanish road has exciting obstacle for unwary motorists

Ever been in Spain? They have a … bracing attitude to health and safety.

11 Likes

No warning sign at all, so idiot drivers like the ones at the can-opener bridge can’t yet be blamed for hitting it. Give it a couple of decades and a bunch of blaring warnings, though, and we’ll be playing Spain’s version of 11’8" Bingo.

7 Likes

Heh, New game!

As far as this junk goes, I live in New England. I’ve seen bigger potholes than that come spring!

Just kidding. That curb is pretty messed up.

6 Likes

Contrary to the description, the lane paint doesn’t taper the lanes, it just stops. I’d guess that the striping crew drove off in disgust.

13 Likes

Tha’s never bin to Yorkshire, lad. I live in Oldham, on what used to be the border between Lancashire and Yorkshire - County End they call it, and it’s been in either county at one time or another. The streets and roads reflect this. They broaden abruptly and narrow abruptly. The sensible thing is to regard all roads as “single carriageway only”, take it at a moderate speed and watch for oncoming traffic. Stopping to let someone come the other way is a given. They stop for you (mostly). If you look on Youtube for vlogs by americans living in England they’ll mention “the hand”. You indicate your gratitude and understanding of the situation by raising your hand to the oncoming drivers. Of course, that yoke in Spain looks like one side of a dual-carriageway, so there’s going to be a queue (line) of cars waiting to use the outside lane at the squeezy bit. No hand.

8 Likes

Nope.

6 Likes

Ha! It’s missing a box:

“I drove my kid to college in Cambridge on Storrow Dr! I know what 11’8’’ looks like, and I can clear it!”.

5 Likes

That’s just the cross product of “Pictures of other, lower bridges” and “Once when I rented a Ryder truck…”

7 Likes

This place must have such a high premium on insurance.

CSB
Lived in an appt overlooking Powderhouse rotary (Tufts-to-Davis). Every Sept.1st used to sit on the porch and watch the action. You’d be surprised at how few people know how a round-about works and how angry pedestrians and drivers can get when they’re all just trying to do what needs to be done.
/CSB

2 Likes

Tesla autopilot failure in 3… 2… 1…

6 Likes

I was so disappointed at the guy at the end of the video. It totally looked like he was going to pratfall into the… whatever the hell that is.

3 Likes

This is in Cartagena (Murcia), Spain; specifically, Av. del Cantón (apparently now renamed “carretera de la Rambla” according to the newfound video below).

The funny thing is that until recently, the road actually circumvented the corner of that particular land, as seen here:

Source: https://goo.gl/maps/Y7hTw46vf3QvaBrE7

Here’s a Google Street View angle that matches the angle near the end of the YouTube video: Google Maps

@cannibalpeas, I found the full video. The guy doesn’t fall: Un 'pico esquina' en la carretera de la Rambla de Cartagena - YouTube

14 Likes

See also: the Road to Hana. Lots of hundred year old one lane bridges that are all grandfathered in under ‘historical road’ or whateverthefuck. Traditionally, cars alternate if >2 meet up at a one lane bridge, first one proceeding, then the one on the opposite side goes. Acknowledgement and thanks signaled by a ‘shaka’.

eta: Actually, it looks like that may be for a really badly placed culvert.

5 Likes

no pasa nada… literally.

3 Likes

Yes, according to one source, this road is not yet open.
http://www.cartagenaactualidad.com/el-pico-de-la-discordia/

7 Likes

“BuT BRidGEs aRE tOo EXpeNSiVe”

I think I prefer Illa de la Discordia.

Uploading: Barcelona_-Illa_de_la_Discòrdia(1)(1).jpg…

2 Likes

if that aint an argument for Eminent Domain, I don’t know what is

3 Likes

4 Likes

Haha I could see how this would happen. I am a construction estimator and through the various phases of design development these mistakes are supposed to be eliminated as all the design consultants and engineers coordinate with one another. If no one is paying attention the last person to fix these is the general contractor’s superintendent who should be the boots on the ground fixing mistakes.

1 Like