Spotify's antitrust complaint against Apple is a neat parable about Big Tech's monopoly

Apple’s typically been at the forefront of intuitive UI, but for some reason the design guideline on the Music app seems to have been ‘remove every button and force people to figure out essential functionality by trial-and-error tapping’. I still forget how to do stuff on it all the time.

1 Like

Heh. there was some earlier version where it would default to having that view expanded so I suppose I got used to it.

You can also hard press (assuming newer iPhone) on any song in the playlist and then tap on the title at the top and it’ll take you to the album.

1 Like

I agree. yes it is different now. especially since Jobs passed.

It’s clearly anticompetitive when Spotify can claim over three times the number of subscribers that Apple Mucic has, 60 million against 27 million. Methinks they doth protest too much.
Also, it’s obvious they begrudge paying all that money to Apple when they’ve been shafting musicians out of decent royalties from the beginning; 1.5 million streams of a track earns the grand total of fuck-all, roughly £900. That’s not even close to minimum wage.
Fuck Spotify, and the horse it rode in on.

2 Likes

Hell, even Wired was in on the Apple death watch.

It’s pretty fascinating to see how many ways the Adobe faithful were wrong (and right) in how to save the company:

1 Like

I was gonna give the same response as Aloisius, but I agree with you in that I’ve been increasingly frustrated with the “discoverability” (or lack thereof) of Apple’s UIs.

1 Like

The editor at AppleInsider wrote what I thought was a very interesting and levelheaded response to the whole issue.
-=DT=-

We’re old. :wink:

But never too old!

giphy

3 Likes

And now Apple has responded with a press release that delves into the issue from their perspective. https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/03/addressing-spotifys-claims/
-=DT=-

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.