Sriracha, yowza, and sheeple among 300 new words in Scrabble dictionary

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/25/sriracha-yowza-and-sheeple-a.html

2 Likes

Isn’t Sriracha a proper noun? I thought you were not allowed to use proper nouns. Also, Scrabble allows lots of words that are not even words, so …

1 Like

As a former tournament player I will take offense at that. Not commonly used words yes. Not even words nope they are words just cause they are not in the shitty compact abridged dictionaries doesn’t mean they are not words.

Also sriracha is not proper noun or even trademarked for that matter.

ETA well I guess you could say unchallenged fake words as not words… but the rules say it stands if it isn’t challenged and I have let them stay on the board cause it gave me the hook for my bingo.

7 Likes

Correct. It would be like trademarking “ketchup” or “salad cream”. :nauseated_face:

3 Likes

Isn’t “OK” an initialism? If not and it is a word, have I been pronouncing it wrong all these years?

Oh, Ohed, Ohing, Ohs, Ah, Ahed, Ahing, Ahs, for example, are NOT words.

1 Like

The others would be valid modifiers of oh and ah.

5 Likes
5 Likes

All y’all pedants bickering about what “real words” are have missed the obvious problem in the headline

So that’s 30,000 new words? Really :question:

You may bow down to my awesomeness whenever it suits you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

14 Likes

I like to mess around with the rules of games, simplifying or complexifying as befits my whim or the mood of the group.

But rejecting reality? That’s some next level shit, man.

4 Likes

Biten???

1 Like

No, two-letter words are not the “lifeblood” of the game. They are what makes it an unpleasant experience when played with people who are only interested in closing the board down rather than opening it up.
(Then again, I also take issue with the whole ‘words having Q-without-a-U’ nonsense; too many of those words are just Arabic transliterations for which the letter K in English would be a much better choice.)

@asdadsas - on the other hand, I have played “reverse Scrabble” with my game group, in which you were only allowed to play words that aren’t in the dictionary, but which you had to justify by putting the word plausibly into a sentence (thus avoiding just random letter sequences.) It was quite good fun but mentally exhausting!

3 Likes

I stopped using the official dictionary when they took out the profanity. I’m not playing at a disadvantage.

And I’ve already thrown people out of my house for trying to play ‘za’. Get that 4th Edition bullshit out of here.

3 Likes

Yesterday it was like someone dragged me across a field of AA, but today my QI feels OK. OH looks like MA made some ZA, gotta GO.

2 Likes

TA.

(random parenthetical bullshit to reach the character minimum thanks for ruining my joke BB).

1 Like

So 300,000 new words? AWESOME!

edit

Oh yeah, my placeholders were off. 30,000 is still nothing to sneeze at.

2 Likes

The internet ruined Scrabble. Now you can look up an official word in a few seconds.The most fun part of the game was someone yelling "Get the dictionary, Get the dictionary ! ".

No one ever actually got the dictionary, but that went on for half an hour. Should have been a Seinfeld bit.

4 Likes

Now that’s just stooffy.

1 Like

Pssh. Inspector Gadget’s been saying “yowza” since the 80’s.

ETA, “PSST” is in TL06, but not “PSSH?!” Carry on.

1 Like