Stanford engineers built an earthquake-resistant house. Watch the shake test

…and what about the other, taller houses and apartment buildings that fall onto it?

THAT video, I’d watch!

Not sure about the reason, but there are very few basements in Los Angeles homes.

2 Likes

San Francisco/Oakland as well generally have no basements. (And no alleys between houses either, meaning all the garages face the street and make parking hell with all the curb cuts, but that’s got nowt to do with earthquakes!)

1 Like

What is this, a house for ants?

We don’t have basements because the ground doesn’t freeze here so there is no need for anchoring below the frost line. Big skyscrapers do have basements and are built to withstand earthquakes, so I don’t think it would be a problem.

Unrelated, in the 1994 earthquake “all” the chimneys and block walls fell over throughout the city. Chimneys are no longer built of solid brick here. No one misses the cinder block walls. Somewhere there is a canyon full of busted up cinder blocks.

‘Nowt’? Interesting bit of vernacular. Hiv aah bin inflooincin’ yiz choice a woords leek, hinny?

Blame an excess of exposure to Terry Pratchett. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I live in Tokyo and we have pretty frequent earthquakes. The only time I’ve felt vertical motion was during the March 11, 2011 quake, other than that its all been side to side.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.