Star Citizen introduces a $48,000 microtransaction bundle

I’m with those who note that both No Man’s Sky and Elite launched in a considerably barebones state and were rightly pilloried for promising things that they did not deliver. Over the years, both games have evolved massively to become much closer to the promise (but also somewhat different from the launch versions!)
Star Citizen, meanwhile, due to the development and marketing choices made, has to be essentially perfect and feature complete right from the off. Which is, of course, impossible.

(Also, as someone who bought into Star Citizen during the original KS, I’ve been playing NMS and Elite (and, yes, Starfield!) for so long now that I won’t care when it finally comes out because my itch for that sort of game has long since been scratched.)

7 Likes

Speaking of No Man’s Sky, I have to point out that it hasn’t charged its players for any of the new content that has come out. I bought the thing on release, and that’s all I paid.

Also gotta mention Minecraft. Even after Microsoft bought it, it’s still pay-once-play-forever.

9 Likes

For $48,000 I’ll want a functioning star ship.

Scopely? He was my batman in the Duke of Argyle’s Regiment of Foot; the old Knee Suspenders. Last I heard, he’d become a deputy assistant bank manager in some benighted Midland town.

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s fair to call it a scam.

A failure to deliver, maybe? The current state of the game is largely empty and not what they promised, but they’ve had a pre-release product available for backers to play more or less continuously since late 2015.

I’ve tried it out twice during their occasional “free weekends” where people who haven’t given them money can play, and they’ve definitely built something. It’s not my cup of tea, but then neither are flight simulators, and people spend obscene amounts of money on gaming setups for those.

I’ve got a bit of the same story, and only recently decided to go ahead and look at my account for Star Citizen.

The thing that impressed me most? Remembering what email I used when I backed the kickstarter 10+ years ago.

4 Likes

I don’t think I’d want to attempt a flight in a physical star ship that only cost $48,000! (For some reason I’m picturing Pykrete star ships, and that picture is ending badly.)

4 Likes

They are fine in space; but struggle with re-entry. :smile:

6 Likes

I think, at $48,000, you could safely just call it a transaction.

7 Likes

Star Citizen serves as a cautionary tale for both game developers and game backers about what happens when a studio has essentially unlimited funds. Game developers are used to using all available money to make a game, only finishing once the development funds run out - before the money runs out, the game doesn’t come out. (Although also, paradoxically, when the money does finally run out, it’s not uncommon for studios to be somehow caught by surprise and the game still doesn’t get finished. It happens over and over again.) The more money the studio has to work with, the longer the development process is going to be, so when Star Citizen raised unprecedented amounts of money, people really should have expected it wouldn’t come out under anything like normal development times.

Given what an unusual situation it is, it’s hard to know how much of what’s been going on is unavoidable issues related to scale, how much are management issues, and how much is dysfunction by those in charge. (Although some of the management issues are unavoidable too - very few studio heads have experience working on this scale, and the bigger the team, the more the management structure multiplies out of control, so having a smaller team taking more time is logical, especially since you can’t really develop a lot of new game features in parallel.) A $48k “microtransaction” bundle suggests dysfunction. They shouldn’t be needing money at this point, so making it easy for people to spend this kind of money doesn’t make sense.

I approach such claims a little… gingerly. I first saw this claim over a decade ago, when it was completely untrue. (The basis for the claim was less an apples-to-oranges comparison and more an apples-to-everything-else-in-the-grocery comparison. They took all the money spent on things like game sales, game subscriptions, console hardware and even the money spent by the game industry on software, and compared it to… movie ticket sales, which weren’t remotely the majority of movie revenue at the time, when home video was still going strong.)

I assume it’s true at this point, but it’s also a bit misleading. Game retail prices haven’t really changed since the '80s, and competition has exploded (435 games were released on Steam in 2013, whereas in 2023, there were 14,534.) Development costs constantly go up, especially for AAA (having increased orders of magnitude), to the point where even the best selling games struggle to break even. It’s even worse on mobile, where the pricing expectation of “basically nothing” was created in the early days. (So how do you make money off a game that’s already struggling to break even at a $40 price point on PC/console, when people aren’t willing to even spend 4 bucks?) So the strategies for revenue generation are really, above all, incredibly desperate. There have been some dire times in the game industry, but right now everything is incredibly precarious and largely unsustainable.

There’s a pretty simple reason for that: the studios that didn’t prioritize money extraction schemes are largely no longer still around to pay for coding and development. Insane pricing expectations by game buyers have herded things in that direction, I’m afraid.

In those days, a hit game could fund a studio to make a few games that failed, on top of one that would keep the studio open. Since then, retail game prices haven’t really changed, development costs have skyrocketed, and there’s about a thousand times more games competing for gamers’ money. If game prices had kept up with inflation, i.e. a new game cost upwards of $120 bucks, it would help. Selling DLC is a way of trying to bridge that gap, but it doesn’t make as much money as you’d think - you’re selling only to a subset of people who bought the game, and DLC requires a full development process (that’s more expensive than you might think) so it’s not all that profitable.

Ad revenue is pretty pitiful - a game would have to be incredibly cheap to develop and have enormous audiences (and have no ongoing service fees) to make that economically viable.

They’re interesting examples but not models for anyone else to emulate - they got insanely great sales (because everyone got excited about features that weren’t necessarily in the games…) that allowed the developers to keep working on them. If sales had slacked, the games would have been forced to be left in states that upset everyone. If Star Citizen tried releasing in similarly incomplete states, they also would have been attacked, even if they were only doing so in order to let people play the game while it was still being developed. There was no winning for them.

3 Likes

They’ve already banked more money for the game than it has taken to build any other game ever, it exists on a single platform, and they continue to gouge existing players with “micro” transactions. It is for sure a scam.

5 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with a little skepticism, but it really is bigger now. As evidence, according to Statista, the global revenue of the TV, Video, and Film industry is $154B. According to the same source, the global video game industry revenue is $282B. That’s probably as close to an apples to apples comparison as you can get. After all, we are literally comparing two different industries, so apples to apples will never be possible. Extending the analogy, we’re literally trying to compare the apple market to the orange market. It’s the whole point of the comparison.

While Marvel Strike Force has no ad revenue, if you follow the link I provided, you will notice that ad revenue for video games is actually the largest category of revenue. Many, many casual mobile games are ad supported. Probably most casual mobile games are ad supported. Anything in the Candy Crush category of games is ad supported, and a ton of people play these games.

6 Likes

Hm, sounds like they’ve gone full Shroud of the Avatar

2 Likes

Funding and revenue models are needed to support any business enterprise. In this case, with hundreds of millions donated and more being asked for, the game enterprise has become almost an afterthought.

If this dev shop had been funded by a VC or a bank, it would have been shut down long ago. They’re taking advantage of unsophisticated donors who’ve let their enthusiasm for a concept overtake common sense (i.e. a grift).

3 Likes

Some perspective: Final Fantasy XVI did 200+ million in revenue in its first week after release, and will easily double or triple that over its lifetime. Mid-tier MMO’s and live service games bring in $2-300m/yr, and annuals for games with more predatory business models like Genshin Impact/Candy Crush Saga routinely hit the billion dollar mark. None of those titles are the top earners in their genre, either.

$650 million might be a crowdfunding record, but as lifetime revenue for a single game that’s been more or less playable for almost a decade? It’s really not that much.

1 Like

Fair enough, I do appreciate the perspective. Star Citizen still hasn’t gotten to the beta release stage, though, and they keep asking their players to pay more and more and more. I haven’t played it, and I’m leery of micro transactions, so I probably never will. I definitely feel that it is a scam, since they continually promise to deliver, fail, then ask for more money. And it has been a lot of money.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t doubt it - because most casual mobile games are absolutely garbage, incredibly cheaply made, solo-play games, churned out on assembly lines in digital sweatshops in China and India. (There’s a mind-boggling number of games that are just re-skinned variations of the same thing, with the development time for each particular game measured in hours, as they swap in a few new graphics, rename it and saturate the market.) So it’s pretty easy for those games to be economically viable with just ads. But when talking about even mobile games, it’s hugely diverse - from games that cost dozens of millions of dollars to develop to those assembly line works that cost just dozens of dollars. There’s also a ton of hobby games that don’t support anyone, but make a few bucks each with ads. Candy Crush, with 300 million users, could pay back its development costs with standard ads, but they make a lot more money convincing people to sit through video ads, or via in-app purchases. So it may be the largest category of revenue, but it’s also spread the thinnest.

1 Like

But…you literally doubted it. That’s why I made the comment.

Yeah, but with the game industry, gamer entitlement forced large portions of the industry into exploitative revenue models they otherwise wouldn’t have involved themselves with. (I mean, some of them would have gone that way regardless, but you wouldn’t have seen the kind of numbers that there are, and thus the sheer number of work hours put into refining these money-extraction techniques.)

I’m pretty certain it’s still all/largely about the game. There’s weird stuff going on with Star Citizen, but it’s hard to tell what, exactly - the situation is so anomalous as to be unique. The initial huge success of the crowdfunding meant that the development expanded to fit the budget, which creates its own problems, and that meant a development time far beyond what anyone initially expected. I also suspect Chris Roberts saw this as his one and only chance to develop his dream space sim (and it is unlikely that anyone else will ever get this kind of money, upfront, to make a space game ever again), and he’s expanded out the scope of the game beyond what the initial budget could cover (and/or unforeseen issues with such a huge production ate up more of the budget than planned for).

Normally, for regular game studios, they pitch to a publisher, get enough money to make their game and hope that their share of the profits from sales will give them enough funds to survive long enough to put together another pitch or two to get funding for another game. The rare, really successful independent studio would release a game and have enough sales that they could afford to fund further games on their own. Everything is backwards in this situation. Their sales are coming first and funding the game - there won’t be sales, post-release, to keep the studio going. If they’re lucky, there will be enough that a handful of staff could be kept to work on another game proposal, but I doubt Roberts is counting on it. It’s a weird kind of grift where all the money gets spent upfront on the product and the grifters walk away with almost nothing at the end of it…

Ah, no, sorry - I was just pointing out that only these no-budget games can manage to make ad revenue support them, not games with substantial budgets and online play.

It’s not my cup of tea either, but there’s a solid group of fans out there who seem to enjoy what they’ve produced so far, and people spend truly wild amounts of money on stuff they enjoy, from rare World of Warcraft mounts to cosmetic skins for games like CS:Go.

For what it’s worth, I doubt the developer expects to sell (m)any $48k bundles, but they know the media will be unable to resist reporting on This Latest Outrage™ and they’ll get many multiples of that amount worth of free publicity.

1 Like