Starbucks fails noise level test against competitors

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/25/starbucks-fails-noise-level-test-against-competitors.html

5 Likes

Could 1-4 decibels be accounted for by the “competitors” having ground their beans at the warehouse, or (egads) purchased pre-ground…? and/or what’s the noisiest regular procedure in a coffee shop? (“that’s easy! it’s: ‘Venti Iced Caramel Macchiato with almond milk and an extra shot of espresso for Sheldon!!’”)

3 Likes

Good to know.

4 Likes

It’s a serious problem in all kinds of food establishments. You need soft furnishings to absorb the noise, but soft furnishings need cleaning, and that takes time and expense. It hurts your business model, so you go for hard furnishings that are easy to clean. That makes it noisy. I mean, noisy, assuming you have customers. Some pubs get furnished with bookshelves and books. That could work. If you have the atmosphere of a library, people won’t talk so loud.

13 Likes

I have been studying for the bar exam at my local Starbucks because it’s close and because the library doesn’t allow food or drinks, and when I’m studying for 3-4 hours straight, I at least need some coffee. And Starbucks doesn’t care if I sit there for 4 hours after having only ordered one cup of coffee. But I can confirm, it is noisy, especially when it’s busy. But even when it’s not busy, the employees are doing lots of things with blenders and grinders and cleaners that make noise. And the floor, walls, and ceiling are all hard surfaces and perpendicular to each other. It’s a perfect recipe for noise production. It still is less distracting than my home.

10 Likes

Nice as they may be, pubs like that don’t sell as many drinks. Most bars are on the noisy side, because people who have to talk louder get thirstier. It’s why sports bars tend to do well, because people who discuss, argue, and brag get thirstier. It’s why so many places serve spicy bar food, too.

2 Likes

Agreed the noise levels are designed-in, but I read it was to add energy to the vibe inside the restaurant/bar. Many years ago we were invited for dinner at the then latest hip restaurant in Vancouver. We had to yell to each other across the table. That literal noise could figuratively go eff itself.

Thanks for pointing me to SoundPrint! I have the same issues that the creator mentions, even if it’s not as useful to me outside of the US it’s nice to know about it.

:thinking:

Yes. It’s a logarithmic scale. +3dB = ~twice as loud.

4 Likes

Tbf, it’s a problem that has been solved long ago by conference room furnishers. Sound baffling panels exist in all shapes and sizes (including ones that are easy to clean and fit a Starbucks aesthetic). For a chain like Starbucks it would be easy to have their own line for use in stores.

2 Likes

Although it doesn’t say anything about sound quality I do recommend this guide. Wherever you can (and I know it’s not always possible) please consider supporting your local coffee shop.

https://cafeatlas.org/

1 Like

Noise doesn’t usually bother me - but man, I went to dinner with a cousin I haven’t seen in forever at the BBQ place called Q39 and man, it was LOUD. It was busy, sure, but it was extraordinary loud. I don’t know if it was the materials or angles of the walls and ceiling or what, but it dampened the experience.

Also, what is going on at 10pm at these coffee places? Shouldn’t people be going to bed soon, not getting coffee? Or is the sound from like cleaning tools making noise?

The furniture issue would probably be less of a problem if so many places didn’t have vaulted ceilings with exposed metal beams. Lower the ceiling would do a great deal to help with the sound issues.

that’s a great idea specifically for a coffee shop, too. Add in games onto the shelves for people to play, too.

1 Like

Ooo, there is a non chain coffee shop like that I will probably be at next week. I will have to take a reading. Currently in a Starbucks with about 75 db noise but it has old school actually ceiling tiles etc.

1 Like

I think I might have eaten at that place. There was one on Main Street that I went to with coworkers for lunch and we couldn’t hear each other over the din - of two other small tables. Great tuna burgers, but sheesh.

1 Like

You should! Do they have one of those vaulted ceilings… I have two local places I like, one is in a converted garage, so concrete, relatively high ceiling, so can get noisy… the other does not really have that, but they do have a performance space in the back…

1 Like

3 dB is not twice as loud. It is twice the sound power, but is only perceived as 50% louder. It actually takes around 10 dB, or 10 times the sound pressure, to create a change that humans perceive as twice as loud. So 3 dB isn’t gonna make the difference between a room that’s comfy and cozy, and one that’s unpleasant to even walk into. But over time, I guess some people would find even that minor increase in sound levels objectionable.

Edit: I mixed up power and pressure.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.