Starting a podcast? Learn the ropes from the pros

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/02/starting-a-podcast-learn-the.html

But what if my podcast isn’t about ropes? I mean, I like bondage as much as the next guy, but…

1 Like

Seems like it could a useful course.

But, first up is the question of whether people should do a podcast. Too often they aren’t value added, and should just be blog posts, which are quicker to skim in a non-linear fashion, unlike audio recordings.

1 Like

Almost always… unless you’re Radiolab. Those guys are genius!

EDIT: Always, as in, never.

1 Like

Step one: Make sure you have Paul F. Tompkins’ phone number
Step two: Get yourself a twee and/or tinkling musical score
Step three: Dress like you just rolled out of bed and put on a bunch of clothes borrowed from an older sibling
Step four: Profit?*

*no, there will be no profit

Yeah, but I’d call Radiolab a radio production available via podcast distribution. For me, a “podcast” is like a “vlog” - it’s internet-only, cheaply produced content that is mostly the host talking spontaneously because that is the easiest way to fill time for the least effort - like talk radio, only done by your neighbor, Doug. Podcasts are blogs that are less convenient to consume and less well thought out or edited, and more annoying. And blogs are the death throws of Live Journal, extended via Wordpress and Blogger.

That being said, I subscribe to a lot of episodic audio content via RSS, and I read a lot of websites organized by date :wink:

So podcasts are bad because if they’re not bad they aren’t podcasts? I see you are a True Scotsman, sir.

It turns out, in a surprise ending, that some people actually aren’t Scots. :wink:

But, yes, my dour take on podcasts isn’t consistent. However, one thing I am consistent on is that be it a radio production or internet only podcast, I want there to be some value added in the recording, something that makes it worth hearing the words of the people in the recording, some aspect to the delivery that gives extra insight, or humor, or drama, or something good. I think just a good interview can do that, such as on Fresh Air (and they edit their interviews down, and remove pauses and do other invisible edits to add value). And I think radio shows that have humor, like the BBC’s News Quiz, can do that. Hell, even Chris Hardwick’s Nerdist podcast did that, until it turned out he seems have some misogynistic jerk qualities. But I think most podcasts do not add value and are just cheap filler, and would be better as written organized and edited text.

I’ll close with this classic warning:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.