States need programmers who know old COBOL language to process a surge in unemployement claims

Or, conversely, there was an old saw: “Make it possible to write programs in English, and you will find that most programmers cannot write in English.” :smiley:

That being said, the real risk with old COBOL code is that it’s likely to be a tangled mass of spaghetti. When I was taking the COBOL course at my junior college, they were at least using a modern enough version that it was possible (and required by the professor) to write code in a structured manner without resorting to GO TO.

Still, COBOL is a hell of a lot more readable by default than, let’s say, Java, C, or Perl.

4 Likes

Ha! I am reminded of the funny & satirical “The Devil’s DP Dictionary” by the late, great Stan Kelly-Bootle, copies of which can yet be acquired I am happy to see. As a kind of Dr Seuss of computer literature among many other talents, he coined such terms as WOM (write-once memory) and the floppy drum. A poem from it is best read aloud (though maybe not at work) to the Sound of Music tune “My Favorite Things”):

Randomly accessed, my girl is delirious;
I even consoled her one day on the Sirius;
The printer monitor did then overswing;
It took away one of my favorite things!

There are some good ones in the Jargon File as well, like the SED (smoke-emitting diode), the NED (noise-emitting diode, which tends to go “pop”), and the LER (light-emitting resistor). Somewhere (maybe Byte or Creative Computing?) there was mention of a black-hole diode, a device with a single terminal that is useful for implementing a bit bucket.

Of course, strictly speaking, an incandescent bulb is an LER, but the term is really meant to refer to a case of Ohm’s Law being broken.

2 Likes

FTFY. Not just old code. Not just COBOL.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.