Stephen Colbert teaches a millennial how to use a payphone

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/16/stephen-colbert-teaches-a-mill.html

5 Likes

Sure it’s fun to tease Millennials for their inexperience with older technologies, but I bet there are a lot of baby boomers out there who have no idea how to send a telegram.

26 Likes

So true. Stop.

25 Likes

To be fair i might need instructions on how to use a pay phone now

1 Like

I’m almost half expecting payphones to come back as a new hipster tech though. After all, having grown up with vinyl I don’t miss it at all since going to CD and then to medialess, but people who never used it before fetishize it.

2 Likes

If someone’s going to get teased, I’d rather it be on the basis of “Hey, check out this completely and adorably useless thing, which I have and you don’t” rather than “Hey, check out this invaluable, can’t-get-anywhere-in-this-world-without-it thing, which I have and you don’t”.

1 Like

seriously, though, the thought about keeping track of phone numbers in my head right now… just no. all hail technology.

5 Likes

Some parents don’t teach their kids right. My college-age kids grew up with a collection of dial phones scattered throughout the house, connected to an analog PBX. they had to dial ‘9’ to get an outside line.

10 Likes

JHC same job just different interface. Figure it out.

Millennials are killing me.

1 Like

Americans do love making a big deal about their phone booths disappearing.

Some of us are even disturbed by the trend, as payphones are dedicated land lines that don’t need satellites or wifi to function in case of an emergency.

13 Likes

Where else is Superman going to change? Although even by the 1970s traditional “phone booths” were becoming rare in favor of “bubbles” that merely provided shelter for the phone rather than the user – which was even used as a joke in the 1978 Christopher Reeves Superman movie.

8 Likes

There’s also quite a few boomers who have no idea how to not vote for a racist misogynist.

11 Likes

So true, sigh. And many of us who don’t vote because “the Deep State has already decided who wins”.

Sigh.

My Son’s ongoing joke to his Mil-Friends, is me hitch hiking around the country when I was a young man. It really gets them rolling in the aisles.

spelling corrected, again.

3 Likes

we did the same (with non-dial ones) - 1 to get a US line 0 to get a NZ one, everyone got a 1 digit extension number

Intentional? I prefer to think so. Maybe a joke I don’t understand? Do you live in Grand Island, Nebraska, for example?

she should have had him send out some instagram stories or snap chats, fair play…

2 Likes

Spell correct happens, to me, a lot.

1 Like

Whatever about phone booths,

“Do you know who Bill Murray is?”
“Yeah!, from Wes Anderson movies!”

is so funny and pure.

4 Likes