Stop Hitting Yourself, Lefties!

Work Screaming GIF by Mediatool

:rofl:

5 Likes

Since we are talking about Republicans here, and how inflexible they are:

One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.

Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark (1996)

13 Likes

Once again, I think liberals seriously don’t comprehend just how stupid a lot of these people are.

I honestly think a significant portion of them literally thought they would just show up and boom, congress stops the vote and Trump wins the election. I mean, they’re absolutely willing to use force, but that’s how it works in their world- whoever is more intimidated backs down and the bigger monkey wins.

1 Like

We understand. We also understand that they’re dangerous, in large part because they’re stupid.

Once again, I think chin-stroking centrists who wag their fingers at liberals seriously don’t comprehend just how dangerous a lot of these people are.

7 Likes

I mean- yes - criminals act like criminals.

7 Likes

Convince the rest of the 75% to vote for you. The left doesn’t have a votes problem — progressive policies are generally popular. The problem is that the US historically has very low voter turnout and the right loves this because that 25% is a reliable voting bloc for their people.

But that 25% is unreachable. How do you convince someone who has been brainwashed to believe that they are aggrieved and it’s the fault of the brown/gay/trans/Muslim/lefty/other boogeyman? They don’t listen to facts or reason, they only listen to those things that confirm their biases. The right is very good at tapping into this anger and pointing it toward the vulnerable rather than the people who are truly responsible. “Your life sucks? It’s because you pay too much taxes, not because the the most wealthy don’t pay enough”. “We don’t have a gun problem, we have a crime problem”. “Two tiered justice system” to complain about Trump’s indictments versus minorities being disproportionately incarcerated. It goes on and on. The right is masterful at easy to digest sound bites while the left likes to be intellectual because that’s how we are. There’s a lefty meme that I love:

I remember a Trump supporter who was upset during the Trump government shutdown complaining that “he wasn’t hurting the people he needs to be”. That quote really stuck with me, and that pretty much says it all. They are about hurting others and not helping others. It’s a zero sum game at worst, and a kind of twisted MLM at best.

13 Likes

I think what we also understand (and regret) is how the right wing populists keep people upset and angry. It doesn’t matter so much what they are mad about, as long as they are mad, as anger will shut down any critical thought. Anger is a short-term fuel that exists because it gives to power through an immediate crisis, but at the cost of mental agility. The angrier we get, the less room we have for skepticism, for detecting bullshit.

We are fighting an epidemic of anger, fueled by political hucksters, by talk radio and by “news” networks telling us we aren’t outraged enough, and in recent years by “social” media because anger is addictive, it has to be answered. Like XKCD noted:

8 Likes

I tried to show a criminal how illogical his pursuit of criminal acts was, and how it would simply wind up with him wrecking his life. It was a completely futile gesture.

6 Likes

With the Know-Nothings, the response to rational and respectful explanations of how a accepting a progressive policy or rejecting bigotry might substantively improve their individual lives or the fortunes of their business often is met with a reaction of “oh, so you think you’re better than me, you librul urban educated coastal elite!” Those on the left shouldn’t feel obliged to face this abuse from fools.

This ties into the stoking of anger amongst them that @fnordius mentions above. They’ve been conditioned to be defensive in this way by the right-wing Mighty Wurlitzer over decades, to the point where it’s passed down from generation to generation.

6 Likes

I don’t think I’ve been called a centrist before. I literally advocated returning half the country’s wealth to Native and African American people.

I don’t particularly give a shit about that 25%- They’ve never been worth appealing to. The ones I’m concerned with are the independent 40% of the voting public. These people overwhelmingly support stuff like M4A, higher taxes on the wealthy, queer rights, reducing the military budget, abortion access, et al- They will gladly vote for progressive candidates if they have the choice, but the Democrats keep trying to appeal to moderate Republicans instead. There is a reason most people have zero remaining confidence in our institutions.

I mean, fucking hell- Half of Maine looks like rural Alabama politically, and we’ve elected a Green Party candidate to both the senate and the Governor’s seat, and would have had another if it weren’t for the Democratic spoiler against minitrump. Progressive policies win votes, you just have to show that you’re actually fighting for them.

Fair enough. There are also too many people on the populist left who also like to berate progressives and liberals for not looking at Know-Nothings as being too stupid to worry about. Writing them off in terms of getting their political support is not equivalent to ignoring the very real danger they pose (especially because they’re guided and used by politicians who are smart).

I agree wholeheartedly that the key to winning is offering progressive policies that appeal to 70% of the electorate, but we also have serious fight on our hands against the Know-Nothing 27% and those who deploy them. Shrugging them off as being merely stupid instead of willfully malicious is not helpful in that regard. Neither is your bogus claim that:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.