Stove top pressure cookers are still awesome

I love that you decided your first post to boingboing was going to be a highly detailed comment about your pressure cooker system and how much you love it.

Welcome to Boingboing!

2 Likes

There is no better way to cook dry beans than with a pressure cooker. Ten times faster (literally) and, more importantly, pressure cooking does something to beans that makes them way more delicious.

1 Like

I have the same pressure cooker, and I love it. It also works great for pressure canning. It will fit 7 narrow-mouth pints at a time. I use it to can pints of garbanzos for my salad. Delish.

An instant pot or stovetop pressure cooker will be faster than a regular pot or slow cooker. The difference is that the instant pot cooks at 11psi versus the stovetop pressure cooker’s 15psi. The higher pressure of the stovetop pressure cooker cuts the time by about 40 to 50 percent from the instant pot.

Using the pot in pot method in the pressure cooker reduces the time to cook beans and grans two ways. First is the higher temperature due to the higher pressure. Second is that the pot in pot method holds the beans or grains in a pot with the water needed for the food on a trivet with only enough water to provide the steam in the bottom of the pressure cooker. Since you only need to heat a much smaller amount of water to boiling, the time to get to pressure is much reduced.

1 Like

This is the use case for a pressure cooker, instant pot or stovetop. It is very versatile, convenient and can replace many other devices. Adding a trivet, steamer basket, stainless steel deep container and other accessories can allow the pressure cooker to be a complete cooking system. It can do steaming, pressure steaming, serve as a stock pot, do pot in pot cooking for cooking beans, rice and other grains and also regular pressure cooking.

1 Like

I’ve used stove-top pressure cookers. I’ve used electric pressure cookers. The electric ones are safer, more versatile, more finely controllable, and all around better. Yes, millions of people in India use them (and many blow themselves up with them which is a topic for a different discussion). Millions of people doing something that isn’t as good doesn’t mean it’s better.

And to the people who say electric pressure cookers don’t come in multiple sizes I have to say you have to say that is nonsense.

1 Like

I’ve used slow cookers and stovetop pressure cookers for decades. No more. They’re all gone, along with the rice cooker, replaced by one Instant Pot. Our range is gas, and propane costs more than electricity, so IP cooking costs less. The IP heats faster and weighs less than the slow cooker.

The problem with the Instant Pot is that its highest pressure isn’t very high, and its highest temperature for cooking/sauteeing is too low. There are other brands which do a better job. c.f. Cooks Illustrated

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.