StratoEnergetics introduces new Slaughterbot autonomous weapon

My fellow subway commuters are wondering why I’m giggling

1 Like

Do you really think that policing is racist simply because of the personal biases of individual officers? Racism is baked in to the structure. Officers who are “just following orders” (much like a robot would) produce outcomes which disproportionately impact people of color. See “stop and frisk” in NYC for just one example.

Do you really think that the reason cops violate civilian rights is that it’s hard for their superiors to force them to obey the law? Police departments want their officers to violate the law. They actively create situations and pressures which result in officers violating rights. It is a fundamental part of police work Again, see “stop and frisk”.

Oh yes, much the way the ever-encroaching CCTV network has already been used for “oversight”. Yes, so much “oversight” happening via CCTV, can’t believe how transparent and egalitarian our society has become ever since all those cameras went up.

Automated policing increases the power of the authorities. Nothing more and nothing less. It will not result in us being safer or freer, just more effectively managed.

1 Like

Well, I have a buddy who spent almost ten years building autonomous killer robots for DOD subcontractors during the Bush/Obama era, so yeah, maybe not this exact tech, but they’re working on it.

PRO TIP - Nearly all deployed killbots are expert at recognizing the silhouette of an AK-47. Carry around a template, folded in half of course, and spray paint an AK outline on anything you need removed! Like for example your neighbor’s unruly pets or children.

This is, interestingly enough, exactly the attitude of American military leadership. However, the civilian leadership above them are very interested in robots that will do things that soldiers are reluctant to do - and without talking to the press afterwards. It’s disturbing.

3 Likes

Its suspension field will make it slippery on the bottom, so I must grip it tightly.

That would be handy for the constipated.

1 Like

You’re broad brush painting because different departments have different degrees of both of these issues. But at the same time it is the leeway and the ‘wink wink’ orders that allow most of this to happen with out it being explicitly ordered most of the time. If we have the parameters locked in and clear, we won’t have human failings get in the way. Programmed bias or anything else an be documented and corrected. Shooting someone because one feared for their life supposedly will be a thing of the past.

I share your concern with citizen surveillance, but at the same time I feel it is a must to keep police honest.

I concede your point only if the government is allowed to be abusive and authoritarian. But some people think the gov will some day be an asset rather than a hindrance, including helping feed, educate, and provide health care universally.

Build in biases can be documented and removed. How do you remove a biased cop?

LOL. No, they are hacked now by Breitbart and The Daily Stormer.

3 Likes

I’m so reassured that FaceID can’t be spoofed. Because there’d be all sorts of horrible accidents with this.

1 Like

Yeah but even with SWAT, it’s a minority of cops. Its bad in America but way worse there.

Here come the new biases, same as the old biases.

2 Likes

oh great, now i’m on the list…

1 Like

So… will these drones have problems if there’s a really flighty comb-over in the way of the forehead?

just asking…

1 Like

There’s degrees of bad involved. What we have now is bad. What we have in a world where /pol/ can order up an ethnic cleansing is unspeakable.

1 Like

If only you hadn’t replied…

1 Like

the_important_field

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.