Straw.page is an "extremely simple website builder" with a HTML-brutalism vibe

Originally published at: Straw.page is an "extremely simple website builder" with a HTML-brutalism vibe | Boing Boing

7 Likes

13 Likes

I’m delighted to announce that Their Jankiness GeoCities, Enlightened Host of Cybernetic Nirvana, has descended to the Earthly Internet once again. Blessed day!

7 Likes

wouldn’t say these are brutalist, more like brutal.

2 Likes

Won’t render correctly without a ton of javascript. Falls very far short of “brutalist,” since brutalism prohibits javascript that isn’t 100% necessary to the page’s core function. It also falls short of “just a God-damned functional webpage” because the page is not even minimally readable without javascript. I grade it as “F – total crap.”

3 Likes

Do you automatically get “Tom” as a friend on this version of MySpace too?

ha, that’s what they should call it, MySpace 2.0

2 Likes

wow, the dedication to the aesthetic is amazing

2 Likes

I just typed myspace.com into my browser address bar, and a website appeared. I have no real idea what it was though.
Some kind of celebrity tittle-tattle thing maybe?

3 Likes

totally agree… website should be super functional, every item line of code intentional. this is pretty brutalist. Out Loud—July 2013—The Appendix

1 Like

I think you’re too old-fashioned haha

Needs more flaming torches, rotating hearts, and maybe a BLINK tag.

1 Like

TSSKULSPIN
smoke

thetropics2615construction2

Nope, no rotating hearts, sorry.

6 Likes

Ooo! Spinny skulls!

Can we include the dancing baby?

Woah there! That file was massive, and I was serving it out through a 33k modem line. Do you want to break the Internet? (Okay, it wasn’t the Internet, just a weirdly cobbled BBS.)

1 Like

I miss my Geocities page.

Thank you for posting this, this is exactly the sort of thing I need for the stupid project I’m working on.

2 Likes

Good luck with that stupid project, hope it goes well! :slight_smile:

There was another website builder/host that was doing this old school style recently. Wasn’t phone specific, was very geocities. I’ve lost my bookmark, does anyone remember it?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.