Studio gives Kickstarter Veronica Mars movie backers substandard, DRM-crippled rewards

[Permalink]

1 Like

Eventually people will learn to stop giving rich business men money on Kickstarter.

21 Likes

I’m not sure who the movie appealed to, in the first place, but I was not in that demographic.

So? Everything hollywood touches turns into excrement. What’s new?

5 Likes

It’s not investing, since the backers have no share in the profits. It’s patronage.

Now, kicking your patrons in the shins isn’t any wiser if you wish to continue receiving funding. However, I think the studio isn’t thrilled with the prospect of a new business model in the first place.

12 Likes

It’s amazing, yet ultimately depressing, that Warner Brothers found enough suckers to assume the risk of funding their product.

2 Likes

DRM only ever hurts those who make legal purchases. Its not ironic, its just shit.

6 Likes

Did you not watch the show? It had a cult following similar to Firefly. That’s the demographic.

2 Likes

First I want to say I LOVED the movie. It’s not something that would necessarily stand alone as a movie, but that is not what they are trying to do. It was so great to spend time with these characters again.
Also as one reviewer pointed out, the town of Neptune always had a huge income inequality problem and the rich and powerful trying to, and often succeeding, at getting away with stuff. And Veronica often exposed these.

In the movies and TV shows, we like to see the rich and powerful get brought down a peg, because it doesn’t seem to happen in real life.

So a rich and powerful studio system picks up the suddenly popular kid and then says, "Hey, we’ll help you finish it. For a cut.’ Makes sense.

So, I watched the move last night on VUDU, which was a service via my LG BluRay player. I paid 5.99 for the HD feed. It worked fine and looked fine.

1 Like

Warner Brothers didn’t do the Kickstarter – they didn’t even really want to make the movie – the point of the Kickstarter was to convince WB that there was a real demand for a movie about a series that went off the air in 2007.

2 Likes

Ach, they don’t really need the money. Especially if they can control the world with DRM.

What studio ever actually went BUST, right?

Pretty sure Orion did…

3 Likes

On the other hand, if the Kickstarter hadn’t been funded, the movie would not have been made. So fans of the series actually did get something they wanted for their money; they just got a slap in the face along with it.

5 Likes

Poorly thought out idea coming so watch out. Why can’t the studios set up a system that provides a legal shelter for downloaders of a torrent for a fee, like register your torrented drm free Veronica Mars for 10 bucks or something. The distribution system is already there and already something people like to use to get high quality copies of various media. Maybe that’s not as much as they’d like but I’d say there is a market, not unlike what Microsoft does, where if you have a cracked copy of Windows you can go legit for a reduced price. If the product has already made it into the hands of the consumer you might as well get something for it. I have torrented stuff to avoid hassle, packaging, etc etc but would also pay for some peace of mind about not getting busted for having it. Like actually buying a ticket on a subway, maybe you don’t need it as long as no one checks but I’d rather have one.

1 Like

Even before WB got involved you were still throwing money at Hollywood producers who have more then enough resources open to them.

Keep telling yourself it wouldn’t have been made.

When your religious dogma causes you to lock the movie’s investors out of the movie itself, perhaps it’s time to reconsider your dogma.

I’m not sure you understand that word, dogma.

http://www.webster-dictionary.net/definition/Dogma

What exactly is wrong, in your opinion, with the use of “dogma” in this context?

Because Studios make a lot of money on a very complex delivery chain (theatres, cable, netflix, over-the-air tv reruns, infinite relaunches and repackaging…). Everytime there is new media (dvd, blu-ray, crystal cubes, neural transmission…) they get to resell the product.

With torrents, that’s gone. Maybe it goes to theatres, then it goes direct to consumer. Bye, bye residuals. And there is a whole industry making money on this chain as well, with insane distribution agreements all over the world.

I think.

2 Likes

Wait a moment; this " Flixster also will not allow you to watch the movie on a computer that has dual monitors." phrase: Does that mean that it requires at least three, or are you implying the existence of cursed souls who exist with only one?

4 Likes