Study: brain surgeons and rocket scientists dumb as the rest of us

Originally published at: Study: brain surgeons and rocket scientists dumb as the rest of us | Boing Boing

10 Likes

This pandemic already had proved it. A lot of educated people saying b******* everyday.

17 Likes

Before anyone here brings up that stupid attempt at a sitcom…

24 Likes

Exhibit A:

50 Likes

I would hope so. That’s a skill that can be practiced that seems related to engineering. I don’t expect brain surgeons to be smarter than me, but I do expect them to be better at brain surgery than me.

36 Likes

Beat me to it. I was going to try to find a picture of a similarly insipid aerospace engineer, but the closest I could find was Elon Musk.

ETA: I should have just uploaded a picture of me. I almost forgot, I have a degree in Aerospace Engineering. I also flunked out of nursing school, and I’m currently a mediocre law school student. Overall, I’m definitely not unusually intelligent.

12 Likes

What about rocket surgeons?

27 Likes

and brain scientists?

8 Likes

20 Likes
10 Likes

A lot of very smart people are very smart in their area of expertise, and not so much outside of that. Though some of them think their expertise translates to everything coughengineerscough.

I LOVE That Mitchell and Webb look. Man, some of the best sketch comedy ever.

9 Likes

I wonder if there is a study somewhere by rocket scientists and brain surgeons that says look, those people aren’t as smart as us.

Later today I have to repair my dryer but I won’t be able to put Spock’s brain back in his body. They can put the brain back but can’t fix my dryer.

It’s what makes the world go round and round.

1 Like

16 Likes

2hj0qf

15 Likes

firefly-serenity

9 Likes

Glad to know it isn’t just me.

1 Like

There was a scene in Star Trek Into Darkness where McCoy is tasked with doing some kind of procedure on a photon torpedo. I think they were trying to make a “rocket surgery” joke but couldn’t quite stick the landing.

6 Likes

At least in Undiscovered Country McCoy says “We have a heartbeat.”

6 Likes

Shocked Futurama GIF

9 Likes

dat so obious and dat is why I opt to dus mine own brain surgery to make mine brain more gooder and then launch mine own starlink satellite instead of waiting for elon to fulfill my order.