Study finds that sleeping in on the weekends is good for you

It’s not hard, go to sleep when you’re tired and get up when you feel rested! :joy:

1 Like

I have severe insomnia, and melatonin only makes it worse: it puts me in a quasi-tired state where my body and mind engage in war with one another, causing jerking and twitching and deepening my anxiety. It’s the same with Ambien, which worked for a year or so until my body adapted to it.

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure there’s a study or two that shows that’s totally the wrong way to do it.
Also, I don’t actually know anyone with, you know, a job who has the luxury of only getting up when they’re rested (or going to sleep when they’re tired, often). Industrial, regimented lifestyles lived on artificial (clock) schedules go against that kind of flexibility.

4 Likes

That’s awesome. I’m happy for you weekend late-sleepers, I really am. My dogs, however, give precisely zero fucks for you, this study, or my mental health. Is it bedtime yet…?

3 Likes

Obligatory joke about reproducibility. (Hits snooze on alarm)

3 Likes

My, I’m happy to live in a country where those things are forbidden on Sundays.

1 Like

Also, I can’t help but note that they seem to be arguing for sleeping less than five hours a night. Or am I misunderstanding “logged up to”?

2 Likes

Where is this Utopian country? Does it have high cost of living? Can I reach it from the U.S. by train or boat? :thinking:

1 Like

Well, religion ain’t all bad then

1 Like

To be more precise, the use of lawnmowers and similar devices is only allowed (actually, tolerated*) in France from 8am to 8pm on weekdays, from 9am to noon and 2pm to 7pm on Saturdays, and from 10am to noon on Sundays.

* “tolerated” because most of these devices are too noisy for the rules against neighborhood noise, but their use is considered legitimate enough that exceptions were put in place within temporal limits.

3 Likes

At risk of spending the next 5 years experimenting to find what works, there’s a handy compendium of stuff to try here, (also many links included if you don’t like podcasts).

1 Like

This is the same reason my municipality has a problem, because these devices are excluded from the noise ordinance laws. I see commercial operators wearing ear protection, but people nearby have none. Our only defense is to move away from it and close our windows.

Even though I don’t need an excuse to spend more time in France, it’s nice to know my preferred retirement destination will allow me to sleep in more often!
:wink::fr:

1 Like

I’ve been trying to tell my internal clock and my bladder this for years but the won’t listen.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.