Study finds that sleeping in on the weekends is good for you

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/25/study-finds-that-sleeping-in-o.html

7 Likes

Pretty sure my risk of mortality is going to hold steady at 100% no matter what I do.

28 Likes

6 Likes

Here’s a radical idea: sleep enough every day. Taking 2 hours off your precious TV time won’t kill you.

7 Likes

I think these results need independent verification. And look – tomorrow’s Saturday! #CitizenScience

13 Likes

I wish I was still able to execute the extended snooze. I may have used up my lifetime allotment of sleeping in during my teen years. I went from semi-pro to non-practicing as I grew older. From my 30’s onward, I averaged about 5 1/2 to 6 hours a night. Now that I’m in my 60’s (please forgive me for a brief emotional moment, I’ve never written that phrase before) . . . as I was saying, now that I’m in my 60’s, I seem to need more like 6 1/2 a night. Try as I might, I just can’t seem to wake up, roll over and give sleep a go again. Parenting, pets and work pressure ruined me.

8 Likes

Might help some, but I tend to have pretty bad insomnia. I’ve tried the general recommendations like staying away from screens, caffeine, going to bed and waking up at the same time consistently, etc, etc. But I usually wind up anxious and not sleeping anyway (I’ve been told that it might help my sleep if I reduced my anxiety level. This is true, but if I were capable of pulling that trick off, I’d probably solve most of my life problems simultaneously). I even tried a routine for a few weeks where I’d go to bed at the same time, and the hour directly before bed would be spent with all the lights off, save one desk light so I could read physical, paper books with the intent of unwinding and convincing my brain it was nighttime without any screen interaction whatsoever. Fuckin’ nothing. But I still have to get up for work in the morning.

So, yeah, sleeping enough every day sounds like a fantastic plan, congrats to all of you who can pull that one off. I’m gonna need my weekend sleep though, much as I would prefer to be conscious during my time off.

8 Likes

Best part of retirement is sleeping in when ever I want. Next is taking naps whenever I want.

6 Likes

Weekdays too…
…so I’m told.

1 Like

:notes: The best part of waking up
Is going back to bed! :notes:

15 Likes

Good form. He didn’t spill his drink.

7 Likes

But… but… those re-runs of Full House aren’t going to watch themselves!

4 Likes

You just haven’t tried to read the right books yet! I had some textbooks that I knew I should read, but would knock me out cold in half a page.

Seriously, I don’t know how to cure insomnia. I’m on the boundary of three suburbs’ city limits. A few summers ago, I was the butt of the neighbor’s jokes because I slept through THREE very nearby tornado sirens blaring simultaneously.

1 Like

I never made it past the photo at the top … “OMG! TOE BEANS!”

I probably need to sleep in.

3 Likes

I recommend The Turn of the Screw
yawn

1 Like

Can someone tell my dogs? Cuz they get me up at dawn regardless of what day of the week it is…

10 Likes

In other words, sleep deficits are real, and you’d better pay them off.
This study’s results should be balanced with those that show that sleeping too many hours is bad for you (and those that show that sleeping too little is bad for you). Also those that indicate that the amount of sleep people require can vary quite a bit, both individually and by age. So… uh, good luck figuring out how many hours you should sleep.

6 Likes

I’ve got the same problem with one very demanding cat. She reminds me of a scene in Downton Abbey when Maggie Smith’s character asked, “What is a weekend?” I’d forgotten that they were new to people born in the 19th century.

6 Likes

However, when people who only slept five hours a night during the week compensated by snoozing nine hours a night on the weekends, their risk of death did not increase.

Unfortunately, in my area this may only be possible in colder seasons. One of the greatest myths about life in suburbia is the level of noise. Peace and quiet are rarely found. If it is warm outside, I leave the windows open and fall asleep to the susurration of frogs. Without fail, someone starts mowing a lawn, whacking some weeds, or running a leaf blower first thing in the morning (about 7:00).

Maybe I should share this study with my neighbors.

6 Likes

Try melatonin?

1 Like