Study finds that texting while walking is fine

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/04/study-finds-that-texting-while.html

2 Likes

The last time I did that study, it found that texting while walking id find.

12 Likes

Yes but it’s also fine to slap the phone from someone’s hands if they’re not looking where they’re going

6 Likes

Does this mean it’s okay if we no longer try to take evasive action to avoid hitting people who aren’t watching where they’re going?

18 Likes

Looks like the study focused on pedestrian-car interactions, and not ped-on-ped or ped-on-bike interactions? And assumes that that which does not kill you is fine (and may even make you stronger)?

7 Likes

What does science say about these people being antisocial twatnozzles?

10 Likes

Phones are to cars as video games are to guns.

Nope. Mixing phones and driving a car is still quite bad, worse than driving drunk. Phones are to walking shoes as games are to guns. (Mostly not part of what makes the human in control of the potentially dangerous device do something bad, but people think they are.)

9 Likes

Just make a car that is controlled by walking.

1 Like

Hmmm, Simpsonesque user avatar, but the ideas of a Flintstone…more hmmmms.

3 Likes

It’s not necessarily about safety, but about courtesy for those around you. For instance, don’t text while walking in a crosswalk… Or block the sidewalk to other pedestrians. These are solid reasons that you shouldn’t text while walking.

15 Likes

idiot on phone while driving meets idiot on phone while walking → ?

Total rubbish study. I drive for a living in the UK and I’m forever having to take avoiding action because of idiots texting or fiddling with their phone,(kids are the worst), completely oblivious of their impending doom when they step into a road without the slightest regard as to what traffic might be about to mow them down. They might just as well be on another planet, so engrossed are they in their phones!

9 Likes

Isn’t that assault?

2 Likes

If you are even slightly awkward, this study may not apply to you. I recommend only looking at your phone when you’re not in motion. (A few weeks ago, I was headed out to run some errands. I glanced at Google Maps as I walked down the stairs in my apartment building, and the next thing I knew, I was on the floor at the bottom of the stairs with a badly sprained ankle.)

7 Likes

Not sure i believe it, anecdotal i know but i can typically walk and text just fine but once in a blue moon i’m doing something on my phone that really and truly takes up all of my attention and i tunnel vision into my phone. It really only takes one time to walk into/off something and injure yourself or someone else.

6 Likes

Yea, probably fake but…

3 Likes

If there were more bans on thinking while walking, then maybe less people would get lost in thought.

2 Likes

My experience is that people don’t look where they are walking whether they have a phone out or not.

7 Likes

Exactly this.

the DOT conducted an in-depth review of written crash narratives in the city between 2014 and 2017.

Let me know when they do a survey of near-misses reported by drivers, because the people walking into the street while fooling with devices probably aren’t going to be honest about what they were doing.

To answer your question, I really wished Death Race 2000 was real the other day when a gentleman holding a phone with both hands walked into the street in front of my moving car. Fortunately, I was able to stop in time. He never even looked up until I tapped my horn. When he stayed where he was and gestured for me to drive around him (this was on a two lane road, which meant I’d have to drive in the lane with oncoming traffic because he wouldn’t get out of the street), I wondered how many points he would’ve cost me/earned me if I’d kept going…

2 Likes

I can’t walk and text, nor can I walk and drink. Have to pick one and focus on it.

1 Like