Substack reportedly in financial trouble

Yep… and Jewish folks like Bari Weiss and Ben Shapiro aligning themselves with far right groups is hella-fucked up.

13 Likes

There are always opportunist idiots who side with those looking to destroy their people. Your Alveda Kings, Ben Shapiros, Chaim Rumkowskis. They usually end up in the same piles of bodies as the rest of their people.

10 Likes

Don’t forget Laura Loomer…

10 Likes

I try. But my brain bleach supply is low.

7 Likes

So, for example, Palestinians, using settlers and soldiers? Or maybe trans people, via medical and psychological neglect in combination with social isolation?

9 Likes

No, that’s only sparkling meanness, not TRUE fascism! /s

12 Likes

As I said before, I could never see much profit margin in Substack. Its tech was basically a combination of three things, an email exploder, some web hosting and payment processing. The big advantage that it had was being first to the mass market with a paid newsletter service, and having all the big names on its platform.

But it was always going to end up in this situation. Take too much of a cut, and people will easily set up their own service and undercut you- so the only way to justify a huge valuation was to grow massively and quickly. They could have been a big success and moderately profitable, but the relentless logic of capitalism has pushed them into chasing absurd numbers now now now until the VC money runs out. How very 1999.

6 Likes

Sometimes members of that group opportunistically co-operated with the Nazis. Continuing the history education provided by others…

13 Likes

You’ve chosen the path of non-resistance.

Sorta zen, I guess.

10 Likes

maybe Elon Musk is looking to buy them, and the no link policy was an attempt to extract a better price.

6 Likes

As much as I would love to watch him run another company into (through?) the ground…

8 Likes

… her peers at the NYT seemed to think so :thinking:

11 Likes

But there was one problem: A large number of Times staffers tweeted back that Weiss was mischaracterizing both the meeting they were attending and their workplace. There was no “civil war,” nor a generational conflict. What was happening was, instead, very normal, even banal: “an editorial conversation.” But Weiss’s resignation letter triples down on her narrative. She appears to reference pushback against her “civil war” characterization when she laments being publicly called a “liar” by other Times employees. That is one of many allegations against her co-workers. She says she was called a “Nazi” and a “racist,” that people were bullied for associating with her, and that some posted “ax emojis” next to her name on Slack. “There are terms for all of this: unlawful discrimination, hostile work environment, and constructive discharge. I’m no legal expert. But I know that this is wrong,” Weiss continues.

11 Likes

Obligatory:

12 Likes

What does Substack do that Medium doesn’t? (Besides shovel out large amounts of money.)

7 Likes

The main difference between medium and substack seems to be specificity. With medium, you’re still paying a flat fee for the “bundle”, which may be better value if you use it a lot, but substack gives a clearer link between your payment and supporting the writer you want to read.

7 Likes

So far this year I have watched a video of someone calling for the elimination of people like me at a CPAC, and lost track of the amount of bills and laws trying to make it impossible for us to live our lives. We were told that Roe v. Wade was safe, we now know that was bullshit.

Bad shit is happening right now, and conservative liberals like Bari Weiss have been legitimizing it for years. I am not going to be gaslit by any denier who tells me not to believe my eyes and ears.

11 Likes

mood GIF

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.