Supreme court curbs states' power to levy fines and seize property through civil forfeiture

Just last week I think I said civil forfeiture needs to end its fundamentally wrong.

And this week RBG makes it back and helps almost eliminate the practice with this ruling.

Finally, some actual justice from a Justice. This is something everyone should be able to cheer for. I can’t imagine why anyone would support the practice other than thieving police.

4 Likes

Well, these guys will probably be pissed.

7 Likes

https://global.discourse-cdn.com/boingboing/optimized/3X/8/5/85675d959f39c9d182ee9b5e92d488e4b1ccbfbb_1_405x500.jpg

6 Likes

Yeah, I was being excessively optimistic. But, I do think it’s a good sign that the Supreme Court is willing to weigh in on civil forfeiture, and the days of stealing property without proving a crime was committed are going to be numbered. If this case succeeded, then those cases should be slam dunks.

2 Likes

The state’s argument is kind of like arguing that 45 caliber is different from 45 100ths of an inch. It’s nothing but semantics. To the guy hit, there’s no difference whatever.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.