Police lobbyist: cops will not be motivated to stop crime unless they are allowed to steal people's stuff

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/12/letters-of-marque-2.html

4 Likes

Former Mauldin Police Sgt. Ben Ford, who oversaw forfeiture for the city police before he recently became Travelers Rest police chief, said it’s fair because people can fight to get their property returned in court.

Ah in that case let’s ban police unions from paying the legal fees for dirty cops. Let the dirty cops prove their innocence at their own expense.

34 Likes

How about this incentive? We pay your salary, you do your goddam job.

51 Likes

38 Likes

Every time someone spouts off that America is the greatest country in the world, I remind them not for anyone who isn’t rich or able to abuse their authority.

Civil forfeiture should not exist. Period.

Call it what it is- the thin theiving blue line. Only scum uses this tactic, and it should be outlawed nationwide.

24 Likes
8 Likes

Made me think of this quote

Tu Mu says: “Rewards are necessary in order to make the soldiers see the advantage of beating the enemy; thus, when you capture spoils from the enemy, they must be used as rewards, so that all your men may have a keen desire to fight, each on his own account.”

10 Likes

I love Lewis Black, you get bonus points. Spot on too.

America is the only country in the world chock full of idiots who have never been abroad, even to Canada, yet still parroting that their own country is the greatest in the world, and who become violent when you sugguest to them otherwise.

13 Likes

As I have said before, cops are NOT your friend. Nor do they “serve and protect” anyone except their little gang of members. When I was in my mid teens (early 60s), we called them pigs. They still are.

5 Likes

Politics is fractal; local patterns repeat on the global scale.

8 Likes

Does this mean we can use the Trump/Sessions rules to seize dRumpf’s assets and make him prove in court that they were obtained legally?

11 Likes

sounds good to me

5 Likes

Sure guys. I guess this also means that cops should be personally and fully liable for all police misconduct (in terms of both civil judgements and criminal violations), because otherwise they have no incentive to not violate people’s civil rights? I mean, fair is fair, right?

10 Likes

Or at least prosecute them under the RICO act…

1 Like

Bruder is quoted as saying: “What is the incentive to go out and make a special effort? What is the incentive for interdiction?”

The pathetic thing is, there are a tonne of “free” market fundies who’ll be nodding along with this.

4 Likes

Gee, wouldn’t be nice if Jarrod Bruder had his car seized under such a law. Perhaps the cars of a few legislators known to support the law?

I wonder if police departments issue guidelines on what to confiscate? Perhaps monitoring car resale prices and MLS listings?

3 Likes

A paycheck. Don’t want it? Fine.

2 Likes

Yeah! Oh wait, he’s saying this like it’s a bad thing?

???

I’ve never heard any fans of the free market be in favor of this nonsense. Even people who like to posit private police use the potential for banditry as a potential flaw to be cautioned against rather than something to cheer.

1 Like

I’m talking about the kind of Libertarian who reduces everything to an economic transaction (and who always assumes some “undeserving” person other than himself will get the short end of the stick). The idea of incentivising the cops to protect his property (because of course they work for him) by allowing them to steal that of others (who aren’t as smart/responsible/etc) would make sense to that kind of privileged fool.

9 Likes

“If we don’t re-instate the death penalty, then what’s the incentive to go into the electric chair business?”

2 Likes