Supreme Court rules that Constitution does not apply to 60% of U.S. population, OKs warrantless assault and home invasion by armed agents

Yes. This is the map I was thinking about and it’s from the ACLU (I think this is the one @vernonbird was referencing)

The airports in Reno, Fresno, and Bullhead City are considered int’l airports. Fresno has flights to Guadalajara, but Bullhead City currently shows no int’l flights.

10 Likes

Dunno what to say other than I know what I had seen, and that CBP does do plainclothes nowadays.

Worse. They have taken away rights laid out very specifically in both the Constitution and in federal law, from a concept based on nothing but sniffing their own farts.

7 Likes

The actual law is the opposite, and has been in place since the late 19th century. There is no law on the books that protects government employees from lawsuit or criminal prosecution for illegal actions. It’s entirely constructed from case law in direct opposition to federal law that is on the books. Yeah, it’s that stupid, and even worse for the SCOTUS to say Congress should do something about it when the law they passed in fucking 1877 is still on the books.

9 Likes

Yep, you’re right, I misread the WaPo article (or misremembered it). The occurence in 1971 was the SCOTUS case upholding the right to sue, which has been curtailed in the past few years by the conservative majority.

But the REAL egregious part in all this: the Biden administration backed the agent, not the Constitution. Reminding us that conservatives run both parties.

7 Likes

Yet

1 Like

Yeah, but the ACLU map is worse!

Yep, that’s the map!
Although, I don’t think the Brownshirts give too many fucks about mere rules, lust like their local counterparts.

7 Likes

one could argue there should be one justice per circuit court. so 13 all together. right now the justices seem to be assigned to districts arbitrarily

https://www.supremecourt.gov/about/circuitAssignments.aspx

biden created a committee to look at changes to the court, and then seemed to circular file the results. i don’t think he’s interested in making changes even if the democrats did have enough seats

8 Likes
  • I don’t believe CBP drew that map

• That map does not include any radii around international ports of entry away from the literal borders

• I don’t believe the Supreme Court has ruled on any actual map that reflects CBP’s beliefs about its own special powers

These maps posted here reflect various people’s speculations about how it works, but only case law is a record of how it actually works

3 Likes

That gets my vote. In Scotland, for decades they called themselves “The Progressive Party”. When they finally changed their name to bring themselves into line with the English Conservatives, there was much loud mock shock and clutching of pearls among the left.

3 Likes

They are definitely active, but not healthy

8 Likes

Sweet, I’m in “The Zone” then! /s

2 Likes

Does this mean South Dakota and Nebraska will finally get international airports?

6 Likes

Did anyone actually read the full court findings? The guy was a drug dealing scumbag and was playing both ends against the middle. Charge illegal immigrants for coming through his back yard which was the border between the US and Canada then turn them over to border patrol. He was also smuggling drugs and other things through his property as well.

The border patrol told him to get out of the car and he refused so they made him get out just like any other police stop. When you don’t obey a lawful order they will make you. That he was forced to get out of his car after telling them to fuck off is not excessive force or abuse. It’s him being an asshole and not following a lawful order. Besides he knew the border patrol would be coming because he ratted out the guy in his car. His “Smuggler Inn” bed and breakfast was bullshit. A bunk bed is not a B&B make that people want to go to. It was bullshit and an attempt to cover his human smuggling. The guy was scum and a criminal. He couldn’t even have the decency to be a good criminal. Instead he played everyone against everyone when it profited him to sell everyone out.

No question the guy was trash. However, suspending the constitution in the vast majority of the country to catch him is not a good idea, don’t you think?

11 Likes

The constitution was NOT suspended. He didn’t follow a lawful order to remove himself from the car so he was forcibly removed. That is NOT have his Constitutional rights removed. Also he tried through the normal remedy for excessive force claims and didn’t like the outcome and wanted more, like the greedy asshole he is. The court ruled there is nothing special or unique about his case so he would have to accept the normal remedy.

Also the court ruled if you engage in known illegal activity then it is normal and correct for the IRS to investigate your income to make sure none of it is illegal and that you are paying your taxes.

The court also ruled that using a criminal activity for your license plate name is NOT protected speech. It is illegal to do that. It also does NOT matter if the illegal plate slipped through for whatever reason, the state is allowed to remove it when it is discovered.

Again none of his Constitutional rights were violated. He is just a scum criminal and didn’t like getting caught.

Okay, we’re done here. :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

What Constitutional Right did he have violated specifically do you think?

The Constitution is suspended in the border grey zone. Try invoking your 4th Amendment rights (or First or – hehe – Second Amendment rights) when you go through U.S. Customs at the airport and see what happens.

As others have pointed out with maps above, that border grey zone has expanded far into the U.S., to the point where agencies like ICE and CBP claim they can ignore 4th Amendment rights there – anyone’s rights, not just this particular scumbag’s. The SCOTUS’s conservative majority just agreed with them.

14 Likes

You clearly didn’t.

This, for example, is simply wrong.

Boule wasn’t in a car. One of his employees was, as was a guest the employee had picked up. Boule was on the porch of his hotel, then moved to stand between the CBP agent and the car.

As in, he lodged a complaint to the CBP who told him to get lost.

And as Gorsuch explicitly notes in his concurring judgment, the normal remedy would be a Bivens claim for violation of his 4th Amendment rights.

Gorsuch is just fine with the decision to deny him that because he thinks Bivens was wrongly decided.

He at least isn’t pretending.

8 Likes