Supreme Court rules that Constitution does not apply to 60% of U.S. population, OKs warrantless assault and home invasion by armed agents

Originally published at: Supreme Court rules that Constitution does not apply to 60% of U.S. population, OKs warrantless assault and home invasion by armed agents | Boing Boing

15 Likes

This is bone-chillingly bad.

Fuck.

45 Likes

This, or some version of this, has been true for quite some time. That doesn’t make this ruling any more acceptable, just less newsworthy.

15 Likes

Also, can we stop calling them Conservatives? Because…obviously not. Facists, radicals, trolls, pick a word. This one doesn’t fit anymore.

43 Likes

Regressives.

31 Likes

Fascists has been my go to for a while now, because that’s what they have become. They don’t even try to hide it.

29 Likes

Christ, what an asshole :confused:

33 Likes

“Those who make peaceful change impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.”
If they keep clamping down, something is going to blow. TBH, I think that’s what they want.

25 Likes

The newsworthy part is that now these abuses have the official blessing of the Supreme Court of the United States, meaning victims have no hope for legal recourse and government agents have less reason than ever to exercise restraint.

34 Likes

I don’t think they make that any secret at all. The goal is to break every institution that might stand in the way of a violent coup that they expect to go their way next time or the time after that.

20 Likes

I am definitely not a lawyer but this quote from the decision (highlighted in a news article I cant find again) Is terrifying:

“Absent intervention by Congress, CBP agents are now absolutely immunized from liability in
any Bivens action for damages, no matter how egregious the misconduct or resultant injury.”… "This is no hypothetical: Certain CBP agents exercise broad authority to make warrantless arrests and search vehicles up to 100 miles away from the border. " — page 43 of the supreme court decision pdf

I would like to hope that is out of context but I suspect it is not. So Biden how about we revisit that stacking idea…

15 Likes

sexy the walking dead GIF

1 Like

Ahh, I remember the days (20 years ago, probably still do it today) where Boarder Patrol would stop every car traveling South on the interstate.

Was always fun, driving along at 55 and then there’s and entire road block with bright construction lights. Just stopping every car in every lane all the way across the interstate.

Right about here:

10 Likes

The CBP has its own wonky definition of “the border,” on top of everything else :roll_eyes:

16 Likes

I remember being very confused when I hit a CBP roadblock just north of Seattle and had? to answer questions about my destination and immigration status. I suspect being a white male helped with the fact that I wasnt carrying my passport (I was living in the states on a Visa at the time so I did have a Washington licence but they requested my passport likely due to my Canadian Plates).

8 Likes

So much for the conservative Justices’ supposed dedication to limiting the reach of the bad ol’ federal government.

32 Likes

They consider airports, and Lake Michigan, part of “the border”—somebody should make them draw a map and get SCOTUS to explicitly rule on the map

17 Likes

This is bullshit.

5 Likes

I seem to recall hearing that cops have asserted that “the border” in this context includes international airports. If courts were to uphold that interpretation, then essentially every inhabited part of the United States would fall within 100 miles of “the border”.

16 Likes

It’s absolute bullshit, but it’s also been the law of the land since 1953.