Customs officials refuse to allow passengers to debark a domestic flight unless they show ID

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/02/24/papers-please.html

7 Likes

77 Likes

CBP should not be doing this inside our borders, but the way border zones are defined, they actually do have extensive powers within 100 miles of a border or external boundary. SFO being coastal, they are probably not violating their (IMO, overly broad) jurisdiction here.

Also want to add that I learned the word debark from this post, which is a synonym for disembark.

20 Likes

I suppose documenting this is the best thing you can do while it’s happening.

11 Likes

At the local bus stop:

“Government-issued i.d. please. And where are you traveling today?”

“Um, Walmart?”

30 Likes

I prefer disembark. It does not detract from the important work of stripping bark from trees.

34 Likes

Or the sometimes equally important need for canine cordectomy.

15 Likes

Or the horrendous work of preparing beagles for lab work

Edit: I see that @anothernewbbaccount beat me by ->. <- that much

8 Likes

Is this legal? Maybe that’s the wrong question - they can certainly ask, but requiring a particular response is another issue. I know airport = “border” = CBP can do whatever the fuck they want, but what could they have done had anyone refused to show ID? Detain them indefinitely? While not crossing a border? Surely it’d be a hell of a precedent?

13 Likes

Welcome to checkpoint 0008948; papers, please.

8 Likes

28 Likes

There’s a reason the ICE union endorsed the President*. They knew that if elected he’d give them leeway to demand “Ihre papiere bitte” beyond ports of entry, thus expanding their power and their staffing needs.

Note that they could have easily identified the passenger in question with the help of the airline and had the flight attendants and gate crew ask him to disembark last. Instead, they had everyone show their papers, because they’re trying to establish a precedent.

It’s less than two months into this administration. It’s going to get worse, and not just for Muslims and undocumented immigrants.

That zone, which extends beyond ports of entry, covers the “urban coastal elites” quite conveniently for them, too.

32 Likes

a guide to know your rights you say?

21 Likes

SFO being an international airport qualifies it as a “border”, the way the law is written.

18 Likes

I’m willing to find out if they want to ask me for ID on a domestic flight as I get off.

16 Likes

Does bark even accurately describe the sound that beagles make?

10 Likes

Douchebags being douchebags, again.

10 Likes

Yah, any international airport in the country is now considered a “border” for CBP to have jurisdiction in.

6 Likes

An international airport, anyway.

2 Likes

Popular vote loser Donald Trump is now talking about hiring 10,000 new ICE agents, who will surely be well-trained and well-disciplined.

24 Likes