Supreme Court rules that Constitution does not apply to 60% of U.S. population, OKs warrantless assault and home invasion by armed agents

No. Qualified immunity has not been codified in law. It has been constructed entirely from court rulings. If anything, the actual law is opposite of what has been established by courts. 42 USC 1983 made govt employees personally liable for damages if they violate someone’s civil rights. That was clawed back by case law over the next century to where we are today, where the 4th Amendment isn’t worth the paper its written on.

15 Likes

I know I keep saying this, but it’s because they aren’t conservatives anymore, they are fascists.

Radical also doesn’t fit. They aren’t about getting to the root of problems, they are the root of a lot of our problems.

Reactionary works if you need a word beginning with R.

26 Likes

I was referring to the border being 100 miles from any edge of the US. I remember CBP patrolling my school in Saline, Michigan growing up in the mid 80s.

1 Like

While I get what you’re saying, the bulk of this case is about due process and qualified immunity. Nobody was saying CBP had no right to patrol the “border” but rather that, while they are doing so, they still have to follow the 4th Amendment.

10 Likes

Please. Understand that this includes the richest and most educated, generally centrist to left, the majority of Democrats, and large cities. Enemies of the Fascist, be forewarned.

3 Likes

What do you mean by that?

10 Likes

Are you under the impression that liberals and progressives are happy with this situation?

7 Likes

The list seems to include just about everyone.

13 Likes

“Reactionary” sounds bad, but also kinda active and healthy to me. If it’s an “R” word, I prefer “regressive”.

3 Likes

I sort of got the impression that he’s talking about most of the big cities in America, which also generally trend left in terms of representation. That those places are now fair game for the CBP stormtroopers, so watch out if you oppose facism?

12 Likes

Lobby your congress critters to extend section 1983 to federal agents as well. And to get rid of qualified immunity.

9 Likes

Let’s pause for a moment to reflect on how incredibly fucked up this is.

25 Likes

Note: This is from the dissent.

5 Likes

he should have been charged with trafficking by the us the very first time it happened. but it sounds like they were happy to have him doing it :confused:

4 Likes

My guess is that they still do it. They have a similar checkpoints in San Diego County (thinking of the I-5 and I-15).

4 Likes

I’m surprised it is only 60% of the population. Most of the big cities are in that zone.

3 Likes

I call them the FDC.
Fascist Death Cult.

That’s the first thing I thought of when I saw the headline; seems like the ACLU had a map, but damned if I can find it right now… seems like this was back during the Cheney Regime, about the time the KGB/DHS was created, and the various agencies were jockeying for power.

Yeah, that map resembled a cell-phone coverage map, so more like 90% of the country was covered.

This SCOTUS has been/become a Clear & Present Danger.

And they somehow think they won’t be affected…

7 Likes

I have a genuine question which I hope is not too off-topic.
Many BBers, including BradC above, have mentioned “stacking the court”.
Does this mean that you can have more than nine SCJs?

4 Likes

So you’re saying the Supreme Court is, once again (ahem, ahem), inventing new rights not previously spelled out in our hallowed constitution.

4 Likes

IIRC, that’s precisely it. The number of justices on the SC isn’t specified anywhere in the constitution, just that there be a SC with justices on it. And people like there to be an odd number so that there can’t be a deadlock.

When it started there were six justices, and it bounced around for a hundred years before settling on nine.

12 Likes