Tackling the question “Can you change your race?”

I have a new avatar for you.

And I hope your kids are happy and kick major butt.

3 Likes

the term is not a fallacy, nor have I said the term was a fallacy. I said your argument as presented was one.your name calling another, and your appeal to speaking for the gropu a third. (I just added the third one).

And now “cherrypicking”, which I am not going to be assed to link to, as you probably know what it is. I consider this exchange over. Enjoy any last words you wish to have.

Holy shit, you think linking to the dictionary and eight other sources of the word in use to prove a word means what I says it means is “cherrypicking” , and that you’re right because of how latin prefixes were use when we’re not even speaking latin?

Amazing.

2 Likes

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=trans-racial%2C++interracial%2C+mixed+family&year_start=1800&year_end=2000&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share=&direct_url=t1%3B%2Ctrans%20-%20racial%3B%2Cc0%3B.t1%3B%2Cinterracial%3B%2Cc0%3B.t1%3B%2Cmixed%20family%3B%2Cc0

From the numerous post I saw from @DragonChild12 pretty much states that using the word “trans-racial” in regard to the current NAACP scandal is pretty offensive since it’s trivialize both the Trans-community, and those who’s adopted by those whose race differs from theirs.

2 Likes

Yes. I do, when you only select evidence that backs you up, because it’s all you looked for, holy shit I think that. I do!! So what if I think that? I even say it, HOW DARE I?

Am I somehow hurting you by thinking trans racial sounds clunky? I fail to understand your repeated opposition to my opinion and it seems just personal at this point. Pleae stop ignoring the other 80% of my point, too. Since that too is cherrypicking. Just, you know, sayin.

And goodnight noble knight.

Someone mind explaining to me who or what “one of those people” is?

They’re the people who rush to simplify racial realities in order to say, “why don’t we all just realized we’re all the same?”

Thing is, we’re not. Also, “universal” is a white person’s way of saying “white.”

1 Like

And I have no idea how I have come to be seen as disagreeing with that.

I’m pointing out fallacious techniques, because someone can’t agree that my opinion is just mine. Apparently I have to toe some line tonight?

and ‘white’ is some peoples way of saying ‘dismissable’, despite that being the tool of their own oppression. Turnabout is fair play, but they claim to hate the game.

This is what you originally said. Trans-racial is also a word that exists. Your “it just sounds ignorant”, “I have never heard of trans-racial adoptions”, etc, is saying you don’t think it’s a word, shouldn’t be used, etc.

Well, it is a word - you weren’t commenting on how it sounded weird, you were saying on how you thought the word shouldn’t be used. And if that wasn’t your intention, then you need to seriously work on your communication skills, and maybe not use phrases like “That just sounds ignorant”

It is not fallacious to point out that people use a word to show that a word is used. It’s called proof.

Or simplify ANY complex issues for the sake of convenience.

1 Like

BTW, this neither hurts or helps anything said in this thread, but is an observation–i have been arguing for the past week with a few friends that are educators and masters in sociology. Transracial is a term that is accepted in academia.

But dont get anyone to try and define it, you will want to claw your eyes out.

3 Likes

accepted in academia isn’t quite 'commonly accepted"… and honestly, it seems trying to define it is very important, and gets my eyes clawed out!

1 Like

No doubt. It is one of those words that may have fallen into the, “we can use it, but should we?” Category.

1 Like

Was I saying it shouldn’t be used? Don’t think so. I did say it intersects other issues, especially ones of recent prominence. And that is sounded clunky and to someone with a chemistry background sounds ignorant of the etymology of the term as used in other contexts.

I’ve said other terms exist, and seem up to the task. I would prefer them. I am in “the community”, and your verbal exclusion of me from it for my choice of words is a fallacy. An appeal to some emotion, and, also counterfactual.

I haven’t called anyone silly or left any of the terms i might not use out of my searches. And every time you respond it’s to what? Change my mind by telling me the group will leave me behind and I am the minority in my opinion? Fallacious AND incorrect!

Well, me for one. It’s what I’ve put on government forms for decades now. I suppose a better answer might be “taxonomists?” I started doing it while I was peripherally involved* in an extended pissing match between Linnaen taxonomists, cladists, and phylogeneticists. I probably spelled something wrong in there, but it’s late here.

* “peripherally involved” here means “watching from the cheap seats”. Nobody actually cared what my opinion was at the time, they were too busy savaging each other’s life’s work.

2 Likes

well bless you for understanding my whole point.

@AcerPlatanoides and @dragonchild12 Stop replying to each other.

4 Likes

I had already PM’d him for this very reason. Rest easy old timer :wink:

1 Like

So much confusion between culture and race. So much.

By some views (including the one in the video), a new African immigrant isn’t Black. By other definitions, if you grew up in say, rural Hawaii, you really aren’t Black.

Personally, I think we should all just stop worrying about who is Black and who isn’t.

1 Like