Take a look at fake rain in Dubai created by cloud-seeding technology

Welp, shows how shaky my geography is then :smiley: OK, they get a pass on the rain.

3 Likes

No spoilers, but…

3 Likes

You think silver iodide is in this medley?

First fake snow that won’t melt when burned, and now this??

7 Likes

I hope they put some thought into how to collect their water bonanza.

4 Likes

A lot of people are saying that fake rain was created by George Soros to put microchips into people.

5 Likes

Dubai needs more moisture vaporators

15 Likes

This sure sounds familiar :thinking:

Dance Powder was created long ago by a country that had no rain. The original creators of this powder called it Dance Powder, because it would make them dance with joy with all the rain that it would create. Despite the rain it created however, the powder unfortunately caused long periods of drought in other countries.

The controversy that the Powder brought whenever it was used started a war. The amount of lives lost in this war was so great, the World Government prohibited the manufacturing, possession, and use of Dance Powder worldwide.

3 Likes

I’m not sure it’s anything like as zero sum as you assert it is. Here’s a fascinating project attempting to regreen the Sinai peninsula. It’s these sorts of huge interventions that are going to be needed to deal with climate change.

4 Likes

Mariners need rain too.

1 Like

Pouring rain on a summer afternoon.

So they’re trying to turn Dubai into. . . Florida?

Better start digging gullies.

1 Like

Beaten to it!

FUSION OF THE ANCIENT WAYS
WITH MODERN TECH SUPPORT
BRINGING ATMOSPHERIC CHANGE
MASTER OF CLIMATE CONTROL

CHANTING TO THE ANGRY GODS
SEEDING CLOUDS WITH ICE
CAUSING SHIFTS IN ETHER PLANES
MASTER OF CLIMATE CONTROL

2 Likes

Oh, Dubai:

5 Likes
4 Likes

No. Because diffusion, there’s no highway-of-water robbery.

Bfarnn> I dig the water pipeline idea.
Use a machine for that, the sandy parts are treacherous! There are magazines, for that matter (Wiley ‘Desalination Technology’ or something. Usually ‘does this foul?’ but other times cheery comparisons on when to use plasma cleaning, other methods, and when to just make screens out of treated gold plated stuff so it doesn’t foul.) but the top of Phys.org is pretty reliable for having pointed out the LBNL metal water flash evaporation desalination and the nonfouling superhydrophobic metamaterials which do about the same thing (but not with aluminum.)
Joule is good for a bunch of these. (Here though, is another URL of pdf with no pdf. Cell Press is out for their pound.) Solar device generates electricity and desalinates water with no waste brine – Physics World
And if you’re based or a ratchet someone: Ardo Research Group -- UC Irvine
(Yes, bc. a paper is titled ‘Ratchet-based.’ I’d say it’s that simple, but I haven’t licensed it from 'em.)
You’re stuck deciding the shape of things (Maya-alike tools, don’t let me down!) and what parts are solar and whatnot, but then it’s down to making oddly large machines to emulate the atmospheric water highway, put minerals you want back in, see if you have a canal or whatnot, etc.
What do do with all the salt (well, everything that can’t be rejected at intakes? Its own problem, of course; is it anathema to the local estuaries and sea to just reject jellies over 10cm back into the seas or Alinea?) Well, you’d use it to make a refinery for something else, where the salts are rent into feedstocks with some purity or another and turn rock into sand, in green mining applications turn arsenic into mineral arsenic that gets well sequestered, metals into reasonable precursors, and salts into reasonably durable rock for building or dunnage, into battery components, flow cell electrolyte, posters, toys, coastal breakwaters, caisson fill product, waterfront block, roadway feature product, iceproof roadway, whatever structures need to be built in the arctic seas while they’re rather liquid, improvements to naval and shipping infrastructure, etc.

Also of course a reality show where you refill Lake Mead without saying anything about it.

3000 l. under the blue dunes. That’s thin.

eta: I’m an idiot having thought this was about CO2 at some point, but there’s a new If I Sequestered It, This Is How It Went out, at https://FrontierSin.Org/journals/energy-research/sections/fuel-cells#articles all about those CO2 fuel cells. Vivivintimiat pacem. Accessorum Abierti.

3 Likes

Cloud seeding is actually pretty old technology (comparatively) and is used in many places, including very high rainfall places. The extent of usage varies though.
While, for example, Mumbai in India, where it rains A LOT ( 1993.9 mm of rainfall till date this yr), could seeding is still used every few years when we are short of rainfall.
The amount seeded is just enough to capture the floating clouds that would vanish over the Indian Ocean/Arabian Sea to fill up the reservoirs that supply water yr round in the city.
These are not torrential rains that we see in this video. So, yes, just because you can, doesnt mean you should. And if you have to, do the least to disrupt the environment.

5 Likes

We don’t talk about that film around here.

1 Like

Could have been worse. They could have said “smart rain”.

2 Likes

I’m sure there are other ways to harvest water from the skies.

3 Likes