Take a look at how they make audiobooks

Originally published at: Take a look at how they make audiobooks | Boing Boing

Got into audiobooks when I was a long haul truck driver in the 90s. Back then most audiobooks were abridged and on cassette tape. Nowadays I’m spoiled by unabridged audiobooks on any subject you can imagine. It’s awesome. I might have to “retire” and go back to driving.

2 Likes

A very nice look at the craft.

I ‘read’ several books this way some years ago, but in the end I was let down by impatience - the inability to control pace (I know you can speed up an audio book, but that isn’t at all the same thing as reading quickly or slowly).

I get that listening is, and is supposed to be, a different experience than visual reading, but listening seems much more passive than absorbing a book through the eyes.

My internal images of the characters and their voices is usually not close to the interpretation of even very good narrators. Not better, just different, and personal.

Whether you’re driving, cooking, or hitting the gym,

That prose is getting dangerously close to BoingBoingStore diction. I thought for sure the next line was going to try to sell me on a 90% discount for something.

2 Likes

I’m a hustler at heart.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

We are hard wired to enjoy good spoken narratives - from pre-history to pre-school it’s how we consumed stories.

And now we have a golden age of very very well read stories - The two in the video are excellent, some others are sublime, Andrew Wincott, Stephen Pacey and Rupert Degas for three.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.