Take a peek inside this year-old egg if you dare

Originally published at: Take a peek inside this year-old egg if you dare | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I don’t dare.
Is it gross?
I bet it’s really gross. One year our laying hens found a little nook to lay their eggs and we didn’t find it for a few months, not even a year, and it was pretty gross. :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

if overpowering odor was such a concern, why wasn’t the dissection started outdoors, or at least under a fume hood?

3 Likes

That was my thought. I’m not worried too much by how it looks, be dear Gods, the smell would be awful

Right, and why use an angle grinder, which would aerosolize and spread the smell? A simple demo saw, handheld or power, would have done the trick

Aren’t there ways to preserve eggs for a year or so? Pickled? I guess He didn’t do that.

I know there are Century Eggs, but I am not sure how long those actually last.

1 Like

Why? Why would you do that? A really dumb 12 year old I knew decided to see what was in the eggs that didn’t hatch after the other ducklings did. On that day he learned that nature could be more vile than he could ever have dreamed. The colors, the lumps and OMG the stench. That was a weapons grade smell from Tartarus.

“This method is known as “water glassing” eggs. Preserving eggs in this fashion allows farm-fresh eggs to be preserved whole in their rawest form, shell and all. Water glassing eggs allows the eggs to be consumed as if they were collected that same day.

Preserving eggs utilizing the water glassing method allows farm-fresh eggs to remain fresh between one year to 18 months. However, there are individuals who state their eggs remain edible for up to two years in the preserving liquid. The method of water glassing eggs has been practiced since the early 1800s. A popular 1886 cookbook publication, The Boston Cooking School Cookbook by Fannie Farmer, provided instructions on water glassing eggs in a lime solution as a means for preserving them long-term. “

They used to use this for long ship voyages, if memory serves.

5 Likes

Also for wagon trains heading for Oregon and other points west.
eta: I’ve been playing the remake of Oregon Trail lately :smiley:

3 Likes

Amateurs! Try a 1000 year old egg. Eating China’s 1,000-Year-Old Egg - YouTube

Why? Because the deficiencies noted are intimately connected to the very idea for the project.

I don’t know the rules to this card game

Pickled (hardboiled then shells removed*) eggs used to be a staple of traditional UK pubs – a large jar filled with grey, murky liquid with barely visible white orbs floating in a miasma of detached white. If that sounds unappetising, remember that they were often untouched for months. Frequently served in a packet of crisps (open the crisp packet; fish out the egg at arm’s length; let it drain against the side of the jar; drop egg into the packet; hand it to lucky customer).

Actually pickled egg is not too bad to taste, just don’t be in an enclosed area with someone who has eaten one.

*edited for clarity

2 Likes

Especially when they’ve been drinking beer to wash it down. WWI-grade mustard gas the next morning, I’m telling you.

1 Like

Only marginally worse than a Cadbury Cream Egg.

2 Likes

I loved pickled eggs. Especially the red beet pickled eggs. :drooling_face:

2 Likes

That’s really interesting! I’ve heard that fresh layed unwashed eggs can actually be kept unrefrigerated for around a month. My friend has backyard chickens and she usually has a stack of eggs on her countertop in the kitchen. It’s pretty egg-citing. :smirk:

That’s true! There is a natural anti-bacterial coating.

In the US, they wash this coating off, thus you refrigerate the eggs. In Europe they leave it on and do not refrigerate eggs.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.