Taking a bad idea to its illogical conclusion: The 1974 PaCoMobile Camper

And no bed hanging from chains. How plain.

2 Likes

So many questions.

12 Likes

I’m pretty sure they could have put it in the glove compartment, per the classic elephant joke.

5 Likes

“If you like it now, just wait for a gust of wind!”

4 Likes

You could totally still do this type of swap; just don’t STEAL the Porsche engines…

1 Like

Probably not a good idea to base it on the 1600 (1584 cm3 / 36,8 kW / 106 Nm engine) - in 1974 they could have used the
1700 (1679 cm3 / 48,5 kW / 113,7 Nm engine, standard gearbox)
1700 (1679 cm3 / 45,6 kW / 115,6 Nm engine, 3-gear automatic gearbox)
or the
1800 (1795 cm3 / 50 kW / 129,4 Nm engine, standard gearbox)

The 1700 automatic would seem like the logical choice for a vehicle aimed at the North American market, but I suppose the surcharge for that option would have severely hurt the bottom line.

2 Likes

Had a Kombi in the 80’s and they are actually designed to take a lot of weight, handled better with a heavy load. Uphill with weight, not a problem, their 1st gear is very low, on inclines I’d often start in 2nd. Speed not so much as it was stock standard.

Had a German friend who was a VW enthusiast and would mod the engines. Didn’t do the Porche thing that is very common - same engine block. If you listen to 70’s Porches the actually sound the same as Kombi’s. It was hilarious to watch him take off petrol heads in V8’s in his van at traffic lights - watching a brick on wheels beat a muscle car was pure schadenfreude!

6 Likes
8 Likes
7 Likes

This camper version is not a design I love, but I’ve always been a fan of the VW bus and owned my own (standard) 1972 camper years ago. I’d get another one if they weren’t so damned expensive these days. Even a busted, rusted piece of junk is going for thousands more than its worth.

7 Likes

I don’t think it’s based on a VW though

8 Likes

Sadly, it’s only in Germany… :cry:

4 Likes

I am a lover of VW busses. had a '79 fuel-injected 2liter 4 speed. last year of the classic breadloaf style. drove it from Seattle to Phoenix, then lived in it for a month after my divorce. good times, me and my dog, sleeping in the bus behind the print shop where I worked.
as for this camper? what’s wrong with a pop-top Westy for camping in? this beastie would be a nightmare in a strong crosswind! oi! my neck and shoulders are tensed up just thinking about that! I mean, my old bus was hell in bad crosswinds (or headwinds, for that matter)

3 Likes

Just the thought of that on a bridge… :grimacing:

5 Likes

Since we are obviously tossing practicality out the window, in my fantasy camper rally, I’m showing up in one of these.

7 Likes

Professor Pecorelli of the Rio de Janeiro State University and his pupils made an electric Kombi with some junk and an old motor some years ago.

I talked to him once and he explained that the idea of ​​the project wasn´t to make a commercial car, but rather to arouse the interest of students and investigate the possibilities of technology.

9 Likes

That’s super-neat! Also, a great reason to take on that project. The more our governments fail us, the more we as citizens need to take actions like this to remind ourselves that we can do this kind of thing when our leaders fail us (as they are doing on the climate crisis).

7 Likes

Go mighty dak-dak.
ScreenHunter 118

7 Likes

That’s a 94 Rover Metro.Last MOT was 2014 and failed quite miserably and hasn’t been back on the roads since then. Right now it has no MOT. Even its advisories are quite something - check out the last line…

Advisory notice item(s)

• Service brake: service brake efficiency only just met. It would appear that the braking system requires adjustment or repair. (3.7.B.7)
  • No lights fitted at time of test
  • Under-trays fitted obscuring some underside components
  • Standard fitment seat belt missing
  • centre and rear wood floor panels insurce / loose
  • n/s o/s side panels ( wood) loose
  • has quick release steering wheel fitted
  • vehicle has five point seat belts fitted
  • vehicle modifield to garden shed
7 Likes

Registered to one Arthur “Two Sheds” Jackson, no doubt.

2 Likes