The RV of my dreams is only $500,000 away

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/12/the-rv-of-my-dreams-is-only-5.html

7 Likes

This morning’s paper had a story about a family from France tiuring the world, in a converted fire truck.

It looks more like a regualar truck, not a ladder truck.

Someone had done some conversion, but once they bought it, they did more work.

It looks better than the common “convert a school bus” and looked sturdier than the ysual RV.

2 Likes

It’s pretty sweet -but for full time living? Not so sure that 4 years in that small space would be conducive to a relationship.

7 Likes

Give it a few years until you can get an all-electric vehicle underneath the camper shell. Then you can do away with the roof-mount A/C, propane gear, and all the extra lead-acid batteries. Think of this setup on a Tesla Semi – or electric VW bus. Then you can go into nature, live like a king, and still be low to no CO2.

11 Likes

The wife and I did a few years in a small camper and those were the best years of our relationship. Would easily do it again…

12 Likes

How’s about a previously enjoyed Sandcrawler?

SandCrawlerExpeditionVehicle

35 Likes

I wonder whether they ever put this on chasis with Quadrasteer back when that was a thing. That would make driving and parking this monster easier.

2 Likes
8 Likes

I feel like I walked right past this thing in the mud at Overland East. “If money were no object” is right. But it is, and it’s hard to picture putting half a mil into something that is already depreciating.

Could you just tow a jeep behind your motorhome? You could trick out a jeep with all kinds of overland camping gear, and still be under $50K. The motorhome is your Tranquility Base, and the jeep is your lunar rover. Motorhome gets you 90% of the way there, and the jeep is the last 10%.

Like so:

8 Likes

We saw one like this in Nova Scotia a couple of years ago. Based on a Mercedes kurzhauber (short bonnet) diesel truck.

They’re all getting on in age, but available for a fraction of the cost of an Earthroamer.

6 Likes

You finally give up on owning an original Landmaster?

10 Likes

This guys use of the words “do” and “run” are not my understanding of what those words mean. “We run a hutchinson bead lock wheel” “We’re running a steel bumper” “We’re running a Warren 16.5 winch” “We do a Lariate package” “We actually do custom made captain’s chairs” “We do a drop of the center console”

4 Likes

I figure that the best post-apocalypse vehicle is a converted cash-delivery vehicle. (for the armor) With high-rail fittings so that it can be used on railroad tracks which are less likely to be clogged than the roads. And painted up as a rusty diaper delivery van, which is probably nothing anybody would be interested in breaking into.

9 Likes

As long as you’re talking off-road anyway, why not a less expensive (and all-electric) Bad Boy?

https://www.cabelas.com/category/Bad-Boy-Buggies/106057080.uts

2 Likes

Electric cars will never catch on. Hydrocarbons are the future!

3 Likes

We live in ours full time, converted from a school bus.

Imgur

15 Likes

I would put my foot through that loft TV on the first night.

3 Likes

Wow! That is a beast.

Party deck on top?

4 Likes

We’re pretty happy being around each other constantly. And smaller spaces help with my anxiety, to be honest.

5 Likes

I’d love to see the interior of you rig! Looks like you put a lot of love and labor into it.

4 Likes