Tampa Teen arrested over Twitter hack

It looks like a lot of bravado to me. Wonder how he feels after a night in jail.

@Mister44 in Florida I think he will automatically be tried as an adult for this. That probably nullifies any protections he had as a minor.

2 Likes

Hmm… I guess that makes sense…

Given that they’re all youngish and self-evidently stupid, I feel slightly bad for them, in that they’re going to face disproportionate consequences for their crime purely because Twitter’s security was so much shittier than anyone could have imagined.

(And because society as a whole allows something as vapid and silly as Twitter accounts to matter so much more than they should)

They could have gotten the info, and said “ha ha, let’s make a mockery of these people and their security.” That might have been more forgivable than stealing $100,000. It wasn’t just the hacking of Twitter (which may be a societal service, rather than a crime), it was the stealing.

Who was behind that stunning Twitter hack? State spies? Probably this Florida kid, say US prosecutors

Three individuals were charged on Friday for allegedly hijacking a string of high-profile Twitter accounts after hoodwinking the social network’s staff.

Mason Sheppard, aka “Chaewon,” 19, of Bognor Regis, England, was charged with conspiracy to commit wire fraud, conspiracy to commit money laundering, and the intentional access of a protected computer.

Nima Fazeli, aka “Rolex,” 22, of Orlando, Florida, was charged with aiding and abetting the intentional access of a protected computer.

The third defendant was not identified by the Department of Justice because he’s a juvenile. A press release from the Hillsborough County State Attorney’s Office in Florida, however, names the boy, a 17-year-old from Tampa, Florida, who faces 30 felony charges for his alleged role as the “mastermind” of the attack.

1 Like

I think kids who hack huge platforms like Twitter should be given a pass, and some kind of college scholarship.

Then arrest the Twitter CEO for engineering such a crap platform and for not banning Trump in the first place.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.