Target and Costco "refuse to profit from chained monkeys"

True, but they can do their part. The original complaint was that they utilize “sweatshops, either staffed with prisoners, undocumented immigrants, or children overseas.” And at least according to @fredges, Costco is trying incredibly hard not to. Even more so, going to some lengths beyond that by building daycares, etc. to help women gain some financial foothold. And, to their credit, not using that effort as a marketing tool. They’re doing what they can. They should be given credit for that.

1 Like

I don’t deny that. However, as @j9c noted, the exploitation that makes mass production possible is deeply embedded in capitalism as it’s practiced. Pretty much anything we do as individuals (even individual corporations) is a band aid.

That’s great, but not everything can be ethically sourced.

They are great for doing their part, sure.

2 Likes

They’d rather profit off the human monkeys they employ?

Yeah they’re trying to the best they can inside a system that is based on greed and exploitation. But if all companies were like Costco, things would be so much better.

If you do call the corporate office, ask them to get someone to tell you about the “salmon wall”. It’s a fantastic story. Or the lightbulb story. Things only employees know about that give them pride.

And the efforts they make to improve diversity and equal opportunity are huge, and also invisible.

Yes they’ve made their mistakes, but the thing is, they honestly try to fix things. Jim Sinegal and Craig Jelinek are amazing guys, who care deeply for the employees. They’ve proven that doing the right thing CAN pay off, too. Look at COST on NASDAQ over the last 30 years…

3 Likes

I don’t disagree. I prefer Costco to other alternatives.

But we do need to understand the bigger picture, too, and how the way we produce and consume is destructive over all.

3 Likes

I agree! And I truly believe Costco agrees, too. The change must come from the inside, which I believe they’re working towards.

2 Likes

They can do what they can do, but at the end of the day, it’s gonna take more than one company. I’m glad they are joining other companies that are working towards a more humane world, however.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.