Teacher says no phones during midterm exam, so student brings portable record player with headphones

“Teacher, can I listen to my Animaniacs album during the geography test?”

12 Likes

Indeed, and as someone who works ten times better with music, if I owned a portable record player, I’d be way more motivated to use it during the test than test any boundaries.

5 Likes

Oh wow, Heisenberg and Dirac! Ugh $150.

3 Likes

Whomever this student is, he or she is kinda my hero for this idea.

4 Likes

This kid is going to get laid in college.

A lot.

1 Like

That sounds like it could have been a classic high school victorhazzard shenanigan, but I had a walkman! Fuck a phone! Literally the only up side to having a phone would be that I could have pulled this gangster move. But with Civil Disobedience’s “In A Few Hours of Madness” 7 inch obviously.

The best part is when Yakko refers to the Spanish Sahara (is gone) and doesn’t use his pointer on the map.

4 Likes

Did anyone check the sleeve notes on the student’s “Kanye West album”? :wink:

Used to be able to… back in the day with old school phonographs, which were recordable and how the first records were actually cut.

Those were recordable, actually! In fact, Edison wanted phonographs to be used to record business meetings…

OH, and for years, you would see places where you could record a letter on a record to send to someone. I want to say that hung around into the late 70s and 80s?

Indeed. Some people just want to game the system. It comes out of the public HS mindset, where the students and teachers often see each other as adversaries instead of working together for better education. I try to

2 Likes

Are you kidding? I was always terrible at memorizing formulae, but would find it v v easy to make an audio file of me saying the formulae out loud. It’s just like making a little podcast for yourself, after all.

2 Likes

Learning Styles is dead! Long live learning styles…

I suppose there are some exams where spending the whole time quietly transcribing the entire contents of an audio track would be exactly what is called for. But in other cases it would look conspicuous to spend the exam hitting the “seek” buttons on the player trying to find whatever formula is needed for a particular instance.

Yes; to this day the only reason I know that “six times eight is forty-eight” is because it fucking rhymes.

Unfortunately, though, the reason I was always so crap at memorizing formulae is that I can’t really retain things unless I actually understand them, and 99% of schools aren’t set up to explain the derivation of formulae (and ultimately the philosophy of math). They simply don’t have the time. They just say “memorize it” and so I failed math for many many years. Sometimes I would get a math test, flip over the paper, immediately write down the one or two formulae I actually knew, and then re-derive everything else I needed for the test, in real time, on the back of the test. People who say “just study more” really don’t know what to do with a kid who finds it more practical to recapitulate thousands of years of mathematical discovery than to just memorize and regurgitate. Then I had a great teacher who would meet with me once a week during study hall time and help me struggle and wrestle with it and cry in frustration, and so I finally passed algebra, and he told me I should be a math major in college lol. (Spoiler alert: I did not major in math in college.)

4 Likes

Oh my God. How did I get this far in life without knowing the word invigilator – ?!

It’s like my head has turned into a Monty Python skit: “No more scones for me, Major – I’m off to invigilate!”

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/invigilator

4 Likes

I’m the same way! I definitely have to have a visual model in my head of what’s happening, and that cut my math studies short and convinced me for a long time I wasn’t a “math person.” I never truly retained anything about trigonometry until I had to use it for simple physics in developing video games…

1 Like

He’s earned himself a Winston!

That, and “Botswanaaaaah”.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.