Telemarketers tormented

I am aware. I was talking about personal boundaries. Obviously it’d be different if I had dependents.

3 Likes

Yes, I said . .

2 Likes

I thought you weren’t supposed to say that word, or else they splice it in with something like, “Do we have permission to charge your account $100 for this service?”

4 Likes

Why do people talk to telemarketers at all? I never answer my phone unless it’s someone already in my address book. EVERY unknown number is a telemarketer, usually a robot. If I accidentally pick up on one, I hang up as soon as I realize my error. “This is an important call. Please stay on the line…” Yeah, no. It’s not important at all.

4 Likes

There’s a world of difference between the chump from comcast that is contracted to upsell you and a telemarketer.
NB: I am on the Do Not Call list and only have a cell phone. Law abiding telemarketers, therefore, do not contact me. I can’t remember the last time I’ve been called by a legitimate telemarketer. I am making the assumption that this is the case for everyone. If the call is legitimate, there is no reason to prank or spoof them since all you have to do is ask to be placed on their “do-not-call” list.
Most telemarketing is fraud. They got your number because they bought it from someone else or they just randomly dialed it. They get don’t get paid by the hour; they get paid when they land you-- they only get paid when they commit fraud. They may have initially gone in thinking it was a legitimate business opportunity (see all those “make 15$ an hour from your home!” ads) but it’s just a pyramid scheme that they themselves are probably involved in (recruiting others).
It’s a gig con-- a lot of these guys went looking for a job and just bought a franchise in stealing money from other people and passing it up. It’s not “the only job some people can get” any more than shoplifting or MLM or stealing mail or lifting bikes is the only job some people can get.
https://scambusters.org/work-at-home.html

7 Likes

NOT every unknown number is junk. And if you don’t answer then you don’t know what your missing, do you. Maybe it is never in your case. In mine, I have to be available for calls from production support in India. These calls get routed through various services in the US, so the number is often different from call to call. Sometimes it is a number that my phone reports as “Probably Scam”

2 Likes

Yeah, a lot of it is semi to actual criminal stuff, I don’t care to stick around long enough to find out which is which. I decline to talk to people selling stuff, charities asking for support, political polls, everything. I know many don’t get paid unless they hook me. I am not trying to support them, I am in fact, trying to NOT support the industry.

I suppose many of the workers are like the guy in the AmA, tricked in to it to start and leaves soon after. I never know who is really dedicated and who is just tricked in to it; who likes fleecing the marks and who is trying to buy medicine for their sick child. I just figure it best to give everyone a minimum of human decency with out supporting the enterprise.

I block most of those calls as they come in. A couple of weeks ago, I ignored one, within a week, the same number called me again. The woman was very aggressive: I told her that I had already told them not to call me, she insisted that I had not, I reinsisted, then I asked for her supervisor to ensure that I was placed in the Do Not Call pile, and she refused and threatened to call me very day and that I couldn’t do anything about it because they use a spoofer.

So yeah, your concern is largely misplaced.

1 Like

Or its a neighbor you have talked to but not added to your address book calling to say he is sick, and could you please help take his dog for a walk.

Especially when I am “tormenting” a person, I sure don’t need them having me recorded as saying “yes”.

This could be a “play stupid games win stupid prizes” situation if you have the wrong kind of person on the other end.

4 Likes

I was pretty desperate and took a job as a vacuum sales person for kirby once when I was 20 years old I lasted one day I felt like I had landed among child eating satanist’s in the 11th abyss I could easily envision the people around me growing horns I felt like i was in the presence of grief eaters who berated old ladies into buying vacuums , then probably returned at night to eat the young . I never bothered to try selling after watching a sales man demon-strate . Telemarketers for the most part do the same thing over the phone.
Anything anyone can do to make make them realize they need to find a new job and submit to an exorcism is a public service… ahh I feel like I’ve already found inspiration for the next incoming cold call … voices … voices …are you another one of the voices? thank you boing boing.

6 Likes

I just speak a nonsensical made up language in response to telemarketers. They not only hang up, they don’t call back.

4 Likes

There’s a difference between “I take unknown calls because it’s my job as a tech support person” and “unknown person is calling my personal phone for no reason I can think of.” I personally do not answer any calls from unknown numbers. A legitimate business or opportunity will leave a message and a call back number. I don’t feel like I’ve missed anything by making this my default behavior.

7 Likes

They can leave a message. Legitimate callers leave messages. Illegitimate callers, too, but those I can delete from my messages and ignore.

7 Likes

By an odd coincidence, today I answered two calls on my personal phone from numbers I didn’t recognise. One was where I’d arranged for my doctor’s office to call me back, but while I was waiting for that call, I got a call from the power company informing me that the power was out (which I had told them, via their website, which is why they called me, so thanks, captain obvious, but they did give an estimated repair time).

I guess the moral is that every unknown number is a telemarketer unless you were expecting a call. If it weren’t for that, we’d probably all have blocked unknown numbers outright and fixed the problem already. (I think many / most people do block anonymous calls, which is why telemarketers have had to go to so much trouble seeming to come from real geographic area codes).

I think it’d work pretty well if it were possible to set your phone (and carrier) to block all calls unless you had previously dialled the same switchboard (…) or the number was in your address book. But that would have been much easier to set up if phones had worked that way from the start.

2 Likes

Yeah, all true. Just responding to “Unknown numbers are always telemarketers” The point being it is hard to tell if you never answer. For me it is clearly not true. I’ve gotten calls from city officials with important time sensitive information, though admittedly rarely.

I’m an Uh huh man myself.

3 Likes

Came here to say this

…is it possible to learn this power?

2 Likes

yes you could attend a Pentecostal worship service? many religions practice speaking in tongues actually. i’ve done it in meditation and acting workshops its actually really cool to do in a group and explore your sounds and made up vocabulary in harmony with sounds of people around doing the same it feels very freeing and same time connective to me. its easy to see to why certain religious groups would see the experience as something spiritual and divine. plus it enhances your life force to combat and send the demon telemarketer’s back to their abyss for another 1000 years… er sorry i ment 20 minutes.

2 Likes