Terrorism experts: evacuating embassies is "crazy pants," "absurd hyperbole"

Here is your timeline.

1. Snowden has caused the public to question our domestic spying! We look bad. Protect our budgets!
  2. Cook up a bogus (or extremely flimsy) terror scare
  3. Give no evidence (it is secret!), give no details (secret too!)
  4. Nothing happened so now claim that it was all because of the vital spying campaign.

Next month, Omar Abdel-Rahman is allowed to escape from prison with just a cell phone and a block of phony c4.

2 Likes

I have a feeling that they (persons or organizations associated with the persons or associations who called for the “evacuations”) are taking advantage of these “evacuations” to install some additional stuff for “monitoring” and “responding to” various and sundry “information” and “events”.

So, not only is it ZOMGTERRORISM, but there’s probably an extra layer of FREEDOMISM being layered into the embassies.

1 Like

There is an operational security problem here. A listens to B and learns “B plans X”. If you take a specific action to prevent only X then B is aware of specifics in terms of breached communication security. For A to take action on X 1-n is actually a bit more sensible.

But hey, lets not let reality get in the way of getting a good outrage going, right?

1 Like

“Early on, critics [of the Church Committee] in the entertainment and news media such as Bing Crosby and Paul Harvey accused the committee of treasonous activity. The 1975 assassination of Richard Welch, a CIA station chief in Greece, intensified the public backlash against its mission.”

Richard Welch was killed while living in a known CIA operations house. His death was then used by the MIC to squash the Church Committee’s efforts to rein in the NSA’s vast abuses by claiming that a leak from the Church Committe got Welch killed. It was all garbage of course, but that’s how easy it is to frighten the American people away from protecting their 4th amendment rights.

This latest is either another attempt to scare us away from the NSA’s constitutional abuses, or an actual threat and the Obama administration is emptying embassies to ensure another Benghazi doesn’t happen… or both. Crazy pants it isn’t.

4 Likes

" So 28 US diplomatic posts have been evacuated (that is to say, “experienced an ordered departure”), including ones in places like Mauritius or Madagascar"

So they shut down everything?

1 Like

If they didn’t need somewhere for the CIA operatives to hang out, couldn’t they just do all this diplomating over Skype?

(Devils Advocate: if anything HAD happened or does happen and they hadn’t evacuated the diplomatic posts then it would have been a propaganda coup for the right. It’s one of those not being able to do right for doing wrong.)

GW Bush is already considered by many respected historians to be one of the worst Presidents in the history of the United States. Obama following in his footsteps is a great way to shit on an already increasingly shitty legacy.

If this doesn’t show utter and complete desperation on the part of the corporatists to distract from Snowden’s whistleblowing on the massively corrupt military-industrial complex, then I don’t know what does.

1 Like

It’s a fine line between crazy pants and cuckoo bananas.

Go about your business, citizen.

It does look like an over reaction but there are some clear signs of trouble, no matter how unlikely it is that there was a conference call of international terrorists.

It is the 15 year anniversary of the US embassy bombings in East Africa, in Kenya and Tanzania. Given the attack on the Benghazi consulate on 9/11 last year it would not be too much to believe that anniversaries do have some sort of terrorist significance.

Furthermore, yesterday, the Yemenis said they had foiled an attack on various ports and oil facilities. Although it does sometimes seem that Yemen is as prone to pipeline explosions as Nigeria.

We should have kept that orange red yellow system. It was a much cheaper way to scare people into submission.

I thought the usual approach was to evacuate dependents, shut down consular operations that had a lot of civilians going in and out, and lay on extra Marines. Why are we treating our professional diplomats like children? Are we out of Marines?

2 Likes

Breaking News! Tail Wags Dog. Boy Cries Wolf!

2 Likes

You are assuming X isn’t a red herring

1 Like

No, that line of reasoning would make sense under normal conditions even if X is a red herring. But it doesn’t fit the present fact pattern, which is not a measured, quiet and careful increase in watchfulness, but a public and noisy “crazy pants” distraction strategy.

1 Like

Dang! I knew we should’ve grabbed another pack of Marines when we were at the grocery last week.

1 Like

I don’t attack anything you say. Nor do I call you names or stifle discussion.

I asked you a question, in good faith, about what seem to be strongly held opinions that single out the current administration as somehow uniquely capable of lying to us.

But hey, hate on you crazy diamond. Whatever blows your hair back.

How so is it bullshit?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.