Terrorists torch five black Ferguson-area churches, nation yawns

This from someone who just found the time to find and drop twelve links into a previous comment.

15 Likes

some other fuckhead:

Can we stop calling everything terrorism? Arson, racially motivated hate crime or otherwise, in the early hours of the morning isnā€™t terrorism.

Violence meant to inspire terror in others is terrorism. And so, burning black churches all over the map in clear response to Black Lives Matter and other events is terrorism. Screw up and down, back and forth and sideways your nitpicking, racist definitions deployed in an effort to say otherwise.

ETA: And thank you so much, @doctorow, for using terminology that other media outlets are too afraid or ignorant to use.

16 Likes

Because it would be. Thatā€™s how the real world works. Or is anecdotal evidence something that should ever be accepted as definitive?

No. Too bright.

And yet, here you are.

8 Likes

Thatā€™s oddā€¦ my dictionary doesnā€™t specify the time of day as being decisive in the definition of terrorism.

12 Likes

This is why we canā€™t have nice things. Why canā€™t people just stop being horrible little creatures to each other?

ā€œI donā€™t like you because the way you look! So, Iā€™m going to hurt you rabble rabble rabble!ā€
Seriously, thatā€™s all it devolves into. Am I dense or something in this regard? I just donā€™t see the need to be violent toward others who arenā€™t violent towards me.

If we do not know who is doing this, how can we know for sure what their motives are? Given the symbolism, it would be prudent to investigate whether racism is a motive, but I think it is foolish to publish motives before a suspect is identified.

1 Like

Ahemā€“THEYā€™RE BLACK CHURCHES!

ā€œGiven the symbolism,ā€ what else could it be but racism?

10 Likes

ā€œWhatā€™s this gigantic cross doing burning in my yard? Fucking racists!ā€
ā€œNo honey, you donā€™t know who did it. Donā€™t you know itā€™s foolish to impute motives before we know who did it?ā€
ā€œOh. Right. Thanks. Iā€™m being unfair. Hey look! There are pointy ghosts at the door! Whereā€™s the Halloween candy?ā€

23 Likes

It could be someone that hates all religion. It could be someone in the neighborhood that hates Christianity. It could be someone who just likes to start fires, and used the churches to make it look like terrorism. It could be the landlord of one of the properties, who lit the fire for the insurance, and the others as a distraction. It could be a community agitator, who lit the fires for propaganda value. It could be Illinois Nazis. It could be some nut who is doing it for Jodie Foster or Elvis. Or, it could be white supremacists. I donā€™t know who did it. I hope they are caught and prosecuted.

1 Like

Thatā€™s motivation. The act of targeting a specific demographic in such manner makes it a racist action regardless of motivation. The target was still chosen on the basis of race/association with race.

Iā€™m sure some klan members chose to harass black people because they are motivated by a fundamental misperception of history regarding the events occurring between 1860 & 1866. Theyā€™re still committing racist acts.

9 Likes

Combined with systematic police brutality and it forms a pattern that would have been familiar to generations of immigrants from eastern Europe: the pogrom.

5 Likes

Itā€™s exactly like a Walgreens - pharmacy with some basic food and household items. And booze. They stopped selling tobacco recently, however.

1 Like

Calling me a git? This is subversion!

10 Likes

Hey, good point!

Thereā€™s no reason to jump to conclusion that they are white supremacists. The perpetrators could be Chinese, or even Hispanics, who instead of indulging in white-promotion, are merely trying to get the black man down.

In light of other known black chuch arsonists, thatā€™s pretty likely, right? White supremacists are the outliers for this sort of activity? Thereā€™s no rational way we could make such an outlandish statement based on probabilities, is there?

12 Likes

Iā€™m not a lawyer, but since this occurred in the United States, the US Codeā€™s definition of terrorism seems relevant. The definition of ā€œDomestic terrorismā€, as defined in Title 18, part 1, chapter 113b, section 2331 has three sections.

• ā€œ[activities that] involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or or any State.ā€
  • ā€œ[activities that] appear to be intended to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping.ā€
  • ā€œ[activities that] occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States.ā€

Points 1 and 3 are clear. Ferguson is within the United States, and arson is a crime according to US law. Point 2 is where the real question is. If the arsonists were trying to intimidate or coerce the population or the government of Ferguson that seems to satisfy that point. If they just got drunk and decided to burn something, it doesnā€™t. So this may be an incident of domestic terrorism.

5 Likes

If we do not know who is doing this, how can we know for sure what their motives are? Given the symbolism, it would be prudent to investigate whether racism is a motive, but I think it is foolish to publish motives before a suspect is identified. Because, really, couldnā€™t the Jews have broken all their shop-windows themselves? Iā€™m just saying we donā€™t actually know, thatā€™s all. Itā€™s too premature to jump to any conclusions. Letā€™s wait until we have some solid evidence backed up with verifiable facts. For instance, these arenā€™t just crisis actors, are they?

3 Likes

Anti-abortion activists who keep entering the wrong address into Waze?

14 Likes

But coincidentally only burned down black religious institutions five times.

But coincidentally only burned down black Christian institutions five times.

But coincidentally only started fires that burned down black religious buildings five times.

But coincidentally only started fires that burned down black religious buildings all four times BUT IS TOTALLY NOT RACIST.

DA FUQ?

DA FUQ DA FUQ?

DA FUQ DA FUQ DA FUQ?

Man, you are smoking LOCO WEED. Thatā€™s totally far out! What are the chances?!?!!?!?

Man, you are smoking LOCO WEED. Or your momma dropped you on your head one too many times.

Aww, thatā€™s sweet. You have a redeeming shred of plausible humanity buried in there!

10 Likes

Donā€™t be so mercurial, you Hg.

3 Likes

So if someone disagree with you, insult them and call them names. Got you.

2 Likes