Test your K-12 science knowledge

The question needed only one tiny edit to be right: “dry mass”.

2 Likes

It’s funny how often questions on kid’s tests are really sloppily written and are actively demanding the wrong answer. They’re so focused on getting kids to regurgitate some fact that they absorbed through rote memorization, they punish kids for both knowing the information and thinking it through. (You were totally robbed on that tree question. Any decent teacher should have accepted the explanation.)

It’s actually hugely problematic, because the science that we’re teaching our kids is routinely grossly simplified to the point of being outright wrong. And this is what people remember and leads them to mistakenly think they understand an issue. Specifically some 8th grade (or earlier) misinformation, about subjects like genetics and the biological basis of sex, is directly impacting people’s lives in profound ways as ignorant conservative politicians feel really proud of themselves for remembering this “basic science,” unconcerned with the fact that it’s actually wrong.

3 Likes

All I gotta say is I scored 100%. Don’t overthink second grade stuff. :wink:

Didn’t get the cell division one, but that’s because I never took Biology.

I only missed the 9th grade one, but I had a crappy chemistry teacher in high school.

This reminds me of the questions I got in my final exam in Driver’s Ed. The one which really infuriated me was, roughly, “is it more difficult to maintain a safe distance to the car in front or behind you?”

Correct answer: in front, because you can’t maintain the distance to the car behind you. (???)

Fortunately, unlike second grade science, that test allowed unlimited retries, and before you retook it you got to look at the answer key. And the questions/answers were not randomized - you got the exact same ones every time with the answers in the same order.

It’s no wonder the skill of drivers on the road is so shockingly poor.

That was embarrassing. I need to go back to grade school.

1 Like

The cell division and the crust questions were the two I got wrong as well.

For the boiling water, I reasoned that if you let the pot boil long enough all the water boils away which is certainly the water level decreasing.

ugh: 9th grade science mumble years ago was Earth Science for me.

And geology should be taught by watching Michael Bay’s “The Rock”. And/or movies starring The Rock, who paradoxically wasn’t in “The Rock”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.