Texas HS yanks lead role from student for being transgender

That’s a shame, “Poor Jud is Daid” is one of my favorite songs from all musical theater.

9 Likes

I thought you were kidding when you said “daid”

6 Likes

I played Jud when my HS did Oklahoma! so I know that song cold :smiley:

10 Likes

(This is kind of off on a tangent, but relevant.) When my daughter was a HS senior, she encountered this problem. They were putting on “A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum”, and she tried out for Philia. She was cast as Miles Gloriosus, which… surprised her.

The director took her aside and explained that he had many, many girls who could play Philia; he wanted to cast her in a singing part, but didn’t have any boys who could (A) act and (B) sing who weren’t already cast in other singing parts. He had heard her sing in other musicals, and thought that she could handle the part.

And she, of course, did. It was a bit strange to hear a Soprano 1 singing “Bring me my bride!”, but hearing her spouting “Stand aside, I take large steps!” was amazing.

The fact that she was playing a male part was never an issue for anybody at the school or for anyone who attended any of the performances. It was, literally, never an issue.

15 Likes

Why, you ask? Do you want innocent teenagers exposed to a hussy who always says “C’mon, let’s go” just when she oughta say “Nix”?

7 Likes

Fuck off Texas.

Max Hightower, the principle of Nominative Determinism would seem to indicate that you will achieve greatness in your chosen career.

So fuck the begrudgers and best of luck, kiddo!

3 Likes

I totally am not surprised by this behavior in Texas. What is shocking and unfathomable is that anyone in Texas would even consider staging Oklahoma.

1 Like

(FYI, Gloria Grahame’s films are on Tuesdays this month - except, evidently, for Oklahoma!. Crossfire is awesome.)

2 Likes

The Merchant of Venice too, though some might like it for the anti-semitism

surrey with a fringe on top

I don’t get to use this one very often.

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.