The $15 Pilot Metropolitan fountain pen

[Read the post]

1 Like

That reminds me, I have thank-you notes to write!

2 Likes

I prefer the Lamy Safari pens. They are more expensive, but the clips are designed to not break off when used. They write well. My everyday pen of choice.

3 Likes

Safaris are great, as long as you don’t mind the weird, semi-triangular section. If you prefer a round section, the Metropolitan or the Super5 .5mm “Calligraphy” pen (approx $25) are both good choices.

1 Like

My main writer is a Pilot Metropolitan and I love it. I’ve tried the Lamy Safari. I prefer the metal body of the Pilot to the plastic body of the Lamy. The Lamy that I had/have had a particularly scratchy nib. A few reviewers have said that both pens seem to have a handful of them that come to market that are just unusually scratchy. Perhaps I would have gone with the Lamy if I had better luck.

I liked mine so much that one day when I left the house without and thought I’d lost it, I immediately bought another in my travels. I now have two, and at that price don’t mind at all. These are really good writing pens for people that write, as opposed to showoff pens for people that don’t.

2 Likes

That was my pen of choice all through secondary school. I had several over the years, but none were lost under circumstances that you can hold against the pen. It was by far the most popular choice in my generation.

1 Like

All the pen nerds seem to like the Lamy. I ordered one a few days ago so we’ll see. They’re only about $5 more.

I’m a lefting when it comes to writing, so fountain pens are… Well my hand always gets stained. I just prefer #2 pencils, then those blue bics that cost a nickel.

I wish I could get into nice pens, but I don’t see that in the cards this lifetime.

2 Likes

And the Al-Stars are the best Safaris. Though I do have a cool demonstrator (e.g. clear) Safari fountain pen around somewhere.

1 Like

Lamy Safaris also come in an excellent rollerball version :slight_smile:

2 Likes

3 Likes

There are some great Chinese fountain pens for less than $2 on ebay. I like the JinHao 599a. There are some nice ones from Duke and Hero as well.

j -

Your stained hand reminds me of a few Charlie Brown threads.

I’m left-handed yet I really enjoy fountain pens. My university house-mate from Nepal (H.S. in Australia) turned me on to these in the early 90’s. In my view, pencils & pens of any type will stain my left hand, so, my thinking is - why not have some fun with a fountain pen. (A nice source of inexpensive fountain pens is used/antique stores & estate sales.)

~c

What do I really think?
Keyboards - Great. Handwriting - Gah.

1 Like

2 Likes

I have a clear Lamy that holds Noodler’s invisible ink.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.