The 21st Century's most unlikely plot device: heroic billionaires vs evil climate scientists

[Read the post]

5 Likes

Always a good day when you can start it off with a Phil Folglio drawing…

5 Likes

Is that disappointing close to the plot of Michael Crichton’s ‘State of Fear’? That book was a real ‘never meet your heroes’ moment for me.

4 Likes

Casting this as a fictional plot is brilliant. Very nearly all CT fall apart under the laugh test. If they don’t, it’s time to get worried. Cf: Iran-Contra.

3 Likes

Roger That!

I’m not sure if the “97 % of all climate scientists” is a good argument. I do know that it’s not meant this way but it can give the “science is only a poll” feeling.

The 21st Century is full of ridiculous plot twists already.

2 Likes

It would be funny if it were so depressingly true…

1 Like

The followups to the tweet are a masterclass in rebutting climate deniers with aplomb and thoroughness.

Unfortunately, they’re also a masterclass in climate deniers ignoring any rebuttals and repeatedly throwing the same denials in attempt to drown out the opposition.

6 Likes

The timestamp on the Tweet is from 19 months ago. Unless Westerfeld is also a character on Steins;Gate, he didn’t tweet that from his “Zeroes” tour.

1 Like

Right you are – thanks!

1 Like

Yeah - I can’t do that any more. Same as arguing with gun nuts (and I suspect a large overlap between the two populations). There is literally nothing that will change their minds, they will gang up, bury you with insults, congratulate each other on how they have defeated you with their logical skills, etc etc. All you do is end up stressed, angry, and blocking dozens of people.

So, despite having a background in climatology and atmospheric science I just don’t engage on the subject any more, my blood pressure can’t take it.

17 Likes

lol, @Donald_Petersen, a little close to home?

2 Likes

It’s certainly guaranteed to get published. And a film treatment.

“The Passion of the Koch”

5 Likes

Wish I had thought of that!

A nice thing about being dishonest is that you can damn someone if they do or if they don’t. When people bring up the 97% consensus, deniers accuse them of thinking science is like an opinion poll; and yet in its absence often the same people will say the science is unsettled because not everyone agrees.

I think trying to choose your words to give such people no purchase is a futile effort. They’ll make up what they need regardless. But to anyone honest, pointing out that 97% of scientists agree on something should suggest what the balance of evidence actually is, or at least show what nonsense it is to pretend it is just a greedy contrivance.

4 Likes

So, Ayn Rand’s come back from the dead, then, is what you’re saying @doctorow?

5 Likes

That is essentially the plot of Kingsmen, with the worlds democratic leaders joining the evil environmentalist side against the interests of humanity.

1 Like

Didn’t Glenn Beck already write this?

Rule 34 says that there will be a version with “Koch” spelt differently.

2 Likes