The 9 levels of wealth – from rich to ultra-rich

Once you have enough money that a significant part of your social life becomes obligatory attendance at charity galas, it’s not worth it anymore.

4 Likes

BUILD THE WALL

they can stand in front of it

Definitely not, but then, people don’t usually get there by working.

5 Likes

:thinking: I’d wonder how much it costs to hire an actor to perform as the public face of the foundation. They could show off neat designer stuff like this:

:woman_facepalming:t4:

2 Likes

I don’t want to make too many assumptions, but this scale definitely implies to me that the “people of real wealth” that Kevin finds himself socializing with are maybe…how do I say? Of a certain ilk?
There’s a real sense of a lack of environmental consciousness in all those flying ones. And a sense of having grown up at least “wealth adjacent.”
I don’t know that I would ever ever stop noticing the prices of things. At some level of wealth, the cost might not change my decision, but I think I’ll always at least notice how much stuff costs, having lived on a budget for so long.
And I don’t like managing staff even when I get paid for it. I can’t imagine wanting full time staff for personal stuff…

4 Likes

Yeah. I can’t imagine paying someone to clean my house.

I did have my car “detailed” once though. Guess I’m on my way up that ladder! :crazy_face:

7 Likes

Level 12: You don’t buy lottery tickets. Not because you know that it’s a fool’s wager, but because the prizes aren’t high enough to make it worth your time to bother with.

1 Like

I can’t look; I know it will only infuriate me.

I’ve only partially skimmed through the comments for the same reason.

However, in the interest of adding value to this comment I wiill say these three things:

• Comparison is a thief of joy.

• Things only have as much value as we assign them.

• Someone once told me that being rich meant having your small children run into your arms they’re so happy to see you, even when you don’t have any gifts or candy for them.

(By that last measure, I have been wealthy for a long time.)

7 Likes

:thinking:

I don’t buy lottery tickets because doing so makes me fantasize about winning. And that in turn makes me appreciate my current circumstances less.

So, no thanks, I’ll keep doing what I can to appreciate what I have.

Exactly.

6 Likes

Same here. I understand these are honourable professions, but I don’t want employees around my house all day.

4 Likes

Yeah. Aside from the loss of privacy, I’m just too impatient.
Whenever I watch something like Downton Abbey I think how rather than ring for tea and sit around waiting, I’d be happier bustling around the kitchen making the tea.

6 Likes

I’m sure there are a few articles out there about lottery winners who’ve won more than once because they spent a lot of money buying tickets. :woman_shrugging:t4:

Great point. I tend to measure personal wealth in terms of what’s priceless - family and friends. Too often we see people with a lot of money who are truly poor when it comes to relationships with others.

4 Likes

True.

Two of the richest, most high profile men I can think of seem utterly fucking miserable.

4 Likes

You’re supposed to be idle rich, IDLE!!! /s

4 Likes

That’s the one personal service thing I would like. But maybe once every two weeks. Well, that and a vet who came to the house for routine shots/blood/checkups.

I don’t mind the rich much. It’s the disgustingly ultra rich that bother me. The people who are billionaires and yet cannot be bothered to help anyone with all that money

6 Likes

There is a resort area here on the Big Island of Hawaii where the rich park their money in these giant empty homes lining golf courses. The only convienient supermarkets there are two small tourist traps with ridiculous prices, even for Hawaii. (We can take a drive get mainland prices at Costco, Walmart or Target. Everywhere else, its >$10 for a loaf of bread. )

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.